Another Word A Day: An All-New Romp Through Some of the Most Unusual and Intriguing Words in English Paperback – 4 Oct 2005
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the Back Cover
A smorgasbord of surprising, obscure, and exotic words
In this delightful encore to the national bestseller A Word A Day, Anu Garg, the founder of the wildly popular A Word A Day Web site (wordsmith.org), presents an all–new collection of unusual, intriguing words and real–life anecdotes that will thrill writers, scholars, and word buffs everywhere. Another Word A Day celebrates the English language in all its quirkiness, grandeur, and fun, and features new chapters ranging from "Words Formed Erroneously" and "Red–Herring Words" to "Kangaroo Words," "Discover the Theme," and "What Does That Company Name Mean?" In them, you′ll find a treasure trove of curious and compelling words, including agelast, dragoman, mittimus, nyctalopia, quacksalver, scission, tattersall, and zugzwang. Each entry includes a concise definition, etymology, and usage example, interspersed with illuminating quotations.
Praise for a word a day
"Anu Garg′s many readers await their A Word A Day rations hungrily. Now at last here′s a feast for them and other verbivores. Eat up!"
Barbara Wallraff, Senior Editor at The Atlantic Monthly and author of Word Court
"AWADies will be familiar with Anu Garg′s refreshing approach to words: words are fun and they have fascinating histories."
John Simpson, Chief Editor, Oxford English Dictionary
About the Author
ANU GARG is the founder of wordsmith.org, an online community of more than 600,000 word lovers in 200 countries, now in its twelfth year. He is the author of the bestselling book A Word A Day (Wiley). Garg speaks frequently about words and language internationally.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > History > Cultural History
- Books > Languages
- Books > Reference > Language > Communication
- Books > Reference > Language > Slang & Jargon
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Cultural Studies
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Linguistics > Historical & Comparative Linguistics
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences > Sociology