Anniversary Essays Johnson's Dict Paperback – 21 Aug 2008
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
'This book is an essential addition to any serious collection in the field of English studies or bibliography.' Rare Books Newsletter
'The Dictionary owes not all but most of the attention that it receives to the fact that it is Johnson's, one more work to be read for evidence of his peculiarities, hobby horses, and strengths or weaknesses. It is good to find the Dictionary investigated and discussed here for itself, as a book - a hugely influential work of reference that can be seen in other contexts besides the biographical. … The effect of the whole is greater than the sum of its parts, for each paper offers access to a way of thinking and to a range of sources that may be new to the exclusively literary, bibliographical, or lexicographical reader.' The Times Literary Supplement
To commemorate the 250th anniversary of the publication of Samuel Johnson's Dictionary, this volume brings together fourteen original essays by international scholars of literature, lexicology, linguistics and bibliography. These essays present fresh scholarship on the Dictionary and open up novel perspectives and directions for future research.See all Product Description
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
This is not the book, given its high price and obscure topics, for one who just wants an introduction to Samuel Johnson or his dictionary. Many other books will do for this, not the least of which is James Boswell's great effort.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Art, Architecture & Photography > Encyclopaedias
- Books > Business, Finance & Law
- Books > Home & Garden > Antiques & Collectables > Reference & Price Guides
- Books > Languages > By Language > Other European Languages
- Books > Poetry, Drama & Criticism > History & Criticism
- Books > Reference > Dictionaries & Thesauri
- Books > Reference > Language
- Books > Reference > Publishing & Books
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Social Sciences