on 25 March 2015
It is a great piece of young adult fiction and when it was first published was considered completely groundbreaking in terms of YA LGBT fiction.
The book tells a touching and realistic relationship of two teen-aged girls, Annie and Liza, who met by chance in a New York Museum. The narrator, Liza, comes from a middle-class background and attends an independent school threatened with closure. Whilst Annie lives in a rough neighbour hood and escapes through music and stories. Both girls are initially very conflicted about her feelings but in time the pair come to admit their love in a world full of hate.
on 19 April 2017
Amazing edition. It's hardbound and DOES NOT have a dust jacket. I almost did flips when I saw that. The book looks great and I'm not at risk at ripping the reason for it looking great :)! As for the innards.... Does it even need to be said? It's a great classic :)
on 10 July 2017
very good
on 29 March 2017
good
on 12 April 2005
I read the reviews of Annie on My Mind (AOMM) and I immediately knew I had to read the book. I ordered it at the beginning of April and have been waiting for it to arrive. It came today, and I began reading. I did not stop.
The writing is excellent; it portrays a lesbian teenage relationship fraught with uncertainty. I think this book would appeal to the straight teenager as well as the gay.
The uncertainty that they both feel, about what they are feeling happens to all. I found myself reading one page, racing through the text, having to re-read the pages more than once, to get to the next. Knowing that this beautiful relationship will hit a snag, wanting the snags, just so you could read it repaired.
I love this book, and I am set to read it again, and notice all the subtleties I missed in my haste to finish.
The characters are complex, which makes this book so wonderful. They are human, with human emotions that I have found to be lacking in any romance fiction. When it comes to gay or lesbian fiction, the relationships are usually described as lust filled encounters, two people meet, unexpectedly attracted to each other and end up sleeping together, thinking in their mind "oh I shouldn't be doing this" for a mere second. In this wonderful novel, the characters seem duly confused over their growing attraction to each other, and uncomfortable with themselves, trying to explain it to the other. Whether you are gay or straight, confessing that you have strong feelings for another person is difficult, adding societal pressures to the mix... Nancy Garden manages to capture it all, in her too short a book.
My measure of good characters is that long after you put the book down, you wonder what the future holds for them. i find myself wishing Nancy Garden to write a follow up, so I can find out what happens between these two.
Please read this book, I have very few favourites, and this is one of them.
on 14 December 2014
I think this book would be interesting for many a high school aged reader to explore. It's a very sweet, quick read.
on 26 September 1998
I started reading this book one night and stayed up until 5am till I was finished! Nothing I read ever made me feel this way, like somebody finally understood. If you feel like nobody understands homosexual relationships, read this book and almost everything you think about may be in there. AOMM finally tells what it FEELS like to be in one of these relationships, and it shows (finally!) that homosexual relationships involve LOVE, something you don't hear much about because of all the "preachiness" of most books on this subject. Annie and Liza are great characters; Liza could be a model for how to cope in an ignorant world. It's not fair that Liza's greatest struggle in this book was being herself! I wish anyone who is ANY sexuality would read this, because it is so true. It is am extreme Eye Opener!!! If everyone was given books like this to read, maybe we would all understand each other a little bit better. It is a beautiful story of how two friends fell in love, nevermind the fact they are both the same sex. This book can be described in this statement: "Don't let ignorance win. Let love."
on 27 December 2014
I have never read such a terribly written book in my life. It's lovely that it deals with a lesbian relationship (I am gay myself) but the plot lacks in any great action, the characters are flat and unrealistic and the writing quality itself leaves a lot to be desired. Perhaps if the author had crushed this into a short story it'd be a more worthwhile read. The interview with the author at the end was enlightening though, probably the most interesting part of the book. I don't understand why this book has such amazing reviews - probably because it covers a gay relationship and so few books do. Hopefully in the future there will be enough books covering gay relationships (we really do need some) that we won't have the resign ourselves to reading books as poorly written as this.
on 18 February 2004
So, these two girls fall in love. Big deal.
Well, it is a big deal if it happens to you. There is a dearth even in this day and age of books for teenagers about growing up gay, but this particular example has stood the test of time. The date of its publication, 1982, will inevitably lead to comparisons with Edmund White’s “A Boy’s Own Story,” yet while White’s semi-autobiographical work is perhaps the greater achievement, “Annie On My Mind” is the one I would recommend most strongly to teenagers.
The emphasis, quite rightly, falls on the love between the two main characters, but Nancy Garden also takes the chance to highlight the prejudices of others and the awkwardness of young, self-conscious gay couples to express their feelings for each other outwardly – not because they are ashamed, but because they are aware of the bigotry surrounding them.
There are uncomfortable moments in the book, but Nancy Garden is to be applauded for tackling prejudice in a mature way, rather than by forcing her own morality on the reader. We are encouraged to see both pro- and anti-gay opinion, but are ultimately left in no doubt about which is the stronger.
This is a book which will both affirm the acceptability of being gay to teenagers struggling with their sexuality and also inform straight readers of the difficult choices facing gays to this day. It is also emphatically not a book purely intended for adolescents, and can be enjoyed by anyone who is prepared to approach a book open-minded. After all, in the end it’s a book about love.
on 2 April 1997
I picked up _Annie on My Mind_ with mild curiosity; no one was "out" at my high school, and I found the subject matter about two young lesbians coming to terms with themselves and homophobia interesting. After reading the book, however, I was amazed at the grace, beauty, and romance that Ms. Garden put into the novel. _Annie_ is a beautiful love story, not just a lesbian love story. I wish more of my homophobic high school friends would have read it.