on 29 March 2017
What a great film and it is so enjoyable to watch I can not belive this film And Musical is so poperly i did bay this Film and it was the very frist DVD i got and this one is to replace my frist one but that one was been used and scarathed to and i am really please that i got this one and it is much better than my frist one, and I love this Film a lot to. And i like to thank you for your Execellent serivce to I only got my item Today and i am very happy and i will watch it so many time's as well. I do hope all Customers go for this Item to and hope they enjoy it as mch as i will too Enjoy
on 1 January 2017
This was the first of many great musical films from Holywood after the war. and I saw it whilst on holiday with my parents. I was Amaxed at the music which I never forgot and the circle serene of cowboys and Indians I was determined to see it again at some future time, but it never came to our local cinima and was never on T.V. So this was for me the best was to see it on D.V.D. on a large T.V. Screen and sharing it with my husband who had never seen it, it certainly brought back memories, and I was still able to sing along with the music, I remembered all the songs and I'm looking forward to sharing it with my great grandchildren Olivia R.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 February 2011
Out of MGM, Annie Get Your Gun is primarily directed by George Sidney and adapted for the screen by Sidney Sheldon from the book written by Dorothy & Herbert Fields. It stars Betty Hutton, Howard Keel, Benay Venuta, Louis Calhern & J. Carrol Naish. Music is by Irving Berlin and photography is by Charles Rosher. It is a Technicolor production. It`s loosely based on the life of sharpshooting Annie Oakley and this film production comes after the immense success of the stage play that began its run in 1946. Plot sees Hutton as Annie Oakley, a simple backwoods kinda girl, who after beating famed sharpshooter Frank Butler (Keel) in a contest, goes on to be world famous. But with fame comes tribulations, not least is that she has a thing for Frank.

Ebullient and colourful musical that asks you to leave history at the door and just enjoy the ride. The film famously had a troubled production, Judy Garland (Annie) had to leave due to ill health, Frank Morgan (Buffalo Bill) passed away and George Sidney was the third director to work on the film after Busby Berkeley and Charles Walters had left the lot. Even after the new cast and team reconvened there was bad feeling on set, with most of it aimed towards Hutton purely because she had replaced Garland. Post the film`s major success, a dispute between MGM and Irving Berlin meant the film was pulled from circulation in 1973 and wasn`t seen again till 2000. Thankfully since then a whole new era of musical fans can now enjoy, along with the older supporters, this marvellous piece of entertainment. With show stopping tunes like "Doin' What Comes Natur'lly", "You Can't Get a Man With a Gun", "There`s No Business Like Show Business" and "Anything you Can Do" bursting out from the screen like rays of sunshine, it`s film to light up the darkest of days when you`re feeling blue. Oh and for the record, Hutton is an absolute delight, attacking the lead role with a zest that belies the bad time she was getting off camera. Great comic timming, too. 8/10
5 people found this helpful
on 1 March 2018
Bought this for grandson to get an idea of that the musical is about. He's going to be performing in it later this year, so this was a 'taster' (personally I wasn't impressed!)....but I'll still go to every performance I expect!..... I'm a grandma.....it's what we do!
on 20 August 2015
Love this film. Musicals were often on the TV in the seventies but they seem to have gone out of fashion. This one was one of the best and Betty Hutton was so versatile and undervalued. She could sing, act, was an excellent comedienne and very athletic. The story is good and the songs are all good too. If you buy an old musical film dvd, get this one.
on 9 December 2016
I found reading other reviews very useful both before and after buying this DVD...... whatever the trials and tensions there were making the film, none of this is evident onscreen. Betty Hutton's performance is so full of life and also really touching at times and she and Howard Keel make a zesty couple; his rich voice is wonderful to hear. The entire supporting cast provide bucketloads of charm. It must have been very hard work making this film; there were so many talented people at MGM making films in the 1940s and 50s and this film provides evidence of that.
on 31 May 2010
This is a really fantastic film. I'd never seen it the whole way through but had heard the songs over the years so thought I'd buy it. I never knew what a treat was in store.

Everybody's heard 'There's no business like show business' if nothing else. But among the other songs are some memorable melodies that set different moods perfectly, such as 'They say that falling in love is wonderful' (romantic) and 'Anything you can do' (comic). 'You can't get a man with a gun' is a gem, listen to the lyrics.

Betty Hutton is amazing as Annie Oakley changing from a gawky backwoods-girl to star of a wild west show and 'pink and white lady'. I'm a big Judy Garland fan, and if anyone had told me Betty Hutton would outdo Garland in a role I'd have laughed at them. But she takes the prize here hands down! Howard Keel is also 'wonderful' as Annie's husband, Frank Butler.
9 people found this helpful
on 30 July 2017
a quality film based on a true story. The introduction description claims it's the best musical of all time which I agree with.
on 22 February 2015
One of the best musicals ever that udec weekly is seldom shown on TV. Meat for straightforward entertainment which id brilliant. Catching songs with melodious tunes witty lyrics and plausible plot. Superb performance by Betty Hutton and Howard Keele. It eclipses most muscles of the last two decades.
on 19 March 2017
Great DVD and good value for money