on 31 January 2016
Review for the Aileen Quinn - Special Anniversary Edition DVD

First off, I adore this film. I burnt out multiple VHS copies and decided I needed a DVD version in order to share this wonderful with some of the younger members of my family (particularly one who enjoyed the 2014 remake).
The film itself is great, perfect for children and any adults who enjoy a great musical. No it isn't exactly identical to the stage version that it is based on, however, I actually prefer this version.
THAT BEING SAID - there are sections of speech/song in this movie that are either made unnecessarily quiet or silenced completely. During 'Hard Knock Life', a lot of Molly's speech is affected by this, which to someone who knows the film almost word for word, it is seriously irritating. If you've never seen it before, you probably wont even notice; but for fans, it can get fairly annoying.
on 18 March 2013
We purchased the Blu Ray as it is a family favouite. First, the picture quality is very good, sharp and with very little grain with a vivid colour palette. However the soundtrack is very disappointing on this disc compared to the standard DVD version. On my THX 9.2 surround amp the soundtrack is locked into a 4.0 DTS Master playback mode and cannot be changed so there is no rear surrounds. Also the sound is rather lackluster and lacking in bass and often looses sync with the picture. Carole Burnette steals the film as Miss Hannigan. We will probably wathch the standard DVD rather than the blu Ray when the time comes round to watch the film again. Stick with the standard DVD folks...Or better yet get it on Sky Movies HD where it does have a full 5.1 surround track and a pretty decent HD picture.
on 27 October 2017
Another fun and warming musical film to sing or tap your toes along with.
A must have for any musical film fan.
"It's a h................. for us, a h..................da de dah!! etc. (you know you know the words)
Enjoy.
on 7 December 2017
Along with Mary Poppins, Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, The Secret Garden and Oliver - this is a must see for kids. I'm 30 now and watched this repeatedly throughout my childhood. So much effort been made for this film, very talented cast!
on 9 April 2012
OMG I loved this film as a kid and now I am 24 I still love it and I don't think that will ever change.

Annie is a well known story of a little orphan girl living in New York which is run by a drunk woman called Miss Hannigan. Annie has always dreamed that her true parents, would one day show up and claim her, and that they will have a big house and lots of money. However when Annie goes to stay with Oliver Warbucks a millionaire Miss Hannigan and her brother decide to pretend to be Annie's parents (Mr and Mrs Mudge) and kidnapp Annie for the reward money Mr Warbucks is offering to Annie's real parents. Annie has many adventures and encounters a number of colourful characters.

This is an uplifting and heart-warming film which will delight everyone. If you have not seen it you are missing out on an amazing movie
on 28 January 2015
I bought this dvd for my Granddaughter in Australia for a Christmas present. I remembered seeing the film years ago with my daughter who was a little girl of the same age. She loved it and we were always singing the songs.
Unknown to me my son had booked tickets to see the new version at the Cinema and this new version is nowhere near as good as the original.
My granddaughter loves it, sings the songs and plays it over and over again.
on 8 May 2012
This is a gift for my 5 year old daughter who is absolutely obsessed with Annie. She walks around the house hollering out 'Tomorrow' and 'Hard Knock Life'. Beautiful, and nearly as good as the versions here on the DVD...

My 7 year old son has also been inspired by this and recites dialogue including 'I want to see this floor shine like the top of the Chrysler Building!'.

If you know what I'm talking about and you haven't already bought this DVD, then WHY NOT? Get it for your children and weep when your ears start bleeding from yet another heartfelt, belted out version of 'Maybe'.
on 1 December 2017
Have this a week now bought for my Grandchildren, they love it and play it over and over, I now know it almost word perfect. Nice wee story to have in this time of violence and electronic toys.
on 24 March 2018
Great family film, I got this film myself, because I enjoy movies with a musical aspect to it. It was a quick delivery and a great low price.
on 18 June 2016
We enjoyed watching it. Bought it after we had watched the new version of Annie, as I wanted my daughter to see the original. However, to my surprise, and I feel bad for saying it, I actually preferred the more recent version. I guess it's down to personal taste.