on 4 September 2015
This book continues the story of Emily Starr. We are with her as she writes and gets rejection slips - and stories published - until something happens that stops her writing for a while. For she has relationships to cope with. People in Emily's life wonder who she will marry? Will it be the Rev. James Wallace? Or the romantic Aylmer Vincent? Or Dean Priest? Or Teddy Kent? All these are in her life, some more than others. Will she end up marrying a man she doesn't really love? It looks like she will! Will Ilse marry someone she doesn't love? It looks like she will! The book does include one marriage where the bride disappears at the crucial time! And we also read about the jealous woman who tries to ruin Emily's life but who comes to regret it. There is a lot in this very meaningful book - There is great sadness but there is great joy too. It is a book well worth reading, and those who appreciate and enjoy L. M. Montgomery's stories about Emily will not be disappointed by reading it to its end.
on 14 May 2013
loved these books a a child and I am really enjoying rereading them as an adult.Well written and flow well, characters are well rounded and believable, tells a story from a different country and a different time.
on 14 August 2013
I thought that this had been written for children but it seems I was mistaken as seen from an adult's perspective it makes fascinating reading. One experiences the emotions and tribulations of an orphan child adopted by an older couple yet empathise with their anxieties and joys.
on 16 June 2013
I loved this as a girl and love it still as a grandmother. I can't wait to introduce this to my granddaughter as being the mother of sons it was not possible! A beautifully written story of times gone by.
on 8 March 2014
Beautiful new editions. I hate the thought of young women missing out on reading LM Montgomery. Most famous for Anne of Green Gables, Montgomery claimed Emily to be her favourite character. Montgomery writes about place, landscape and beauty in a way that fully engages the readers senses. This trilogy takes a young Emily orphaned up to young adulthood and her desire to become a writer despite family disapproval. I've read the trilogy two times so far and look forward to picking them up again, I also look for excuses to buy them for other people. I can't recommend them highly enough, give them to any woman young or old that you love.
on 11 March 2014
I always read and reread Anne of Green gables and the subsequent books as a child so when I saw them on Kindle I couldn't resist the temptation to go back to my childhood. I am now 64 but still young at heart and have not been disappointed by this book. It can be enjoyed as an adult as much as a little girl but seen from a different perspective.
Lucy Maud Montgomery writes in a flowery "Victorian" style but it is not sugary. Her descriptive writing of the flora, fauna and people of Prince Edward Island, Canada is beautiful. If you want a trip back in time this is one for you. One caveat, it is definitely a girly book!
on 27 March 2017
A classic story about a headstrong young orphan. I loved this story as a child and having reread it now to my daughter I am discovering it all over again. If you've never read it then take a chance and get it, you won't be disappointed. The characters are beautifully written, the description of the area is beautiful and the story line is innocent but captivating.
on 24 August 2013
I was given this book to read by my gran when I was around 12 years old and thought I would read it again through adult eyes, it is still a charming and innocent book about a little girl with a vivid imagination I wondered why my gran gave it to me now at nearly 60 I understand. will read it to my granddaughter when she gets a little older.
on 26 May 2017
I never read any of these books when I was younger, so I'm sorta catching up. They're lovely stories, very atmospheric of the old days in early America country folks, and quite heartwarming. The characters are warm and real, and you find you get swept into their lives. Lovely nostalgia reading.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 28 June 2016
These series of books are incredibly old fashioned in style but oh so lovely to read! The descriptions of the countryside through the seasons and the handling of the torments of war years is so wonderfully written that I felt moved to tears in parts. I know that the style would not suit everyone, but to me it was a breath of fresh air!