on 18 March 2003
An incredibly detailed, exhaustive survey of a medium dating back to 1917, packed with production gossip, contentious reviews, and criticism that pulls no punches. An excellent book by two award-winning authors, and the biggest work on the subject in any language, including Japanese. But be warned, if you're looking for a colouring book or something full of pretty pictures, this is an *encyclopaedia* designed for reference, and not a shallow curio.
on 3 July 2002
I've saved a lot of time and money by following this book (it's easily paid for itself), since I seem to have similar taste to the authors. There is a lot of bad anime out there, and this has helped me avoid it, but it's also helped me discover many good things I otherwise wouldn't have done (the work of Miyazaki for one.)
It's well written (if sometimes too concise) with both insight and a passion for the subject.
on 9 December 2001
As a keen anime fan, I have long searched for an easy to use and fun reference for information on the great variety of animations that Japan has produced. This book covers that requirement and then some.
While they were unable to cover every single anime title that had ever been, mainly due to the limitations of the printed word, the range of this book is a treat for anyone.
There are over 10 years of work behind this book, and Clements and McCarthy are to be congratulated for creating such a first rate work.
Beware of one thing though, once you start reading it you may never stop until you have read it from cover to cover. If you have the slightest interest in anime get this book, it is an excellend guidebook to one of the best art forms around today.
I can only hope that more works of this standard will come.
on 17 July 2007
I have only purchased this book today and so should probably take time to consider its usefulness, but at first glances it seems to deliver exceedingly well on expectations.
I have been a fan of anime since 2003 now so I have had some time to familiarise myself with quite a few titles, from fairly well known ones like Ghibli's to lesser knowns I've stumbled across from friends or random showings at conventions. This book's listed all the one's I can think of, and plenty more besides. Not all get pages and pages of text, but hey, you can't expect the authors to have watched and deeply analysed EVERYTHING, and there's a lot of interesting and enlightening stuff here.
There's a slight review in many of the descriptions, usually enough to serve as a warning or reccomendation. Personally I'm really enjoying the commentary, I think it's quite funny in parts... but then if you've watched much anime you'll know it can be quite hard to do a significant number of descriptions seriously, and when you include more adult anime - well, it was surreal enough already.
There's also some commentry on themes of anime and other stuff, which is probably really interesting and useful for people properly interested, but I've spent most of my time looking up anime I've watched so far. I did read a bit about ratings of anime (as in people tuned in, or however it's measured these days). That was very illuminating, I'd always assumed anime must be highly rated in Japan, and also I completely bought that GTO (live action) was the highest rated series in Japan. Surprise!
But really, this is a very good book, and VERY UP TO DATE considering others I've read. It's up to sometime in 2006: 1917 to 2006 doesn't seem a bad span to me!
I can imagine a book like this might confuse a newcomer to anime, given the amount of content. But also, each description will ususally contain a mention of an anime of similar plot or style, giving thozse exploring the genre a bit of a tour, without having to ask the advice of someone else who m,ight have COMPLETELY different tastes?
Anyway, like I've said, I've only had this book a day, so maybe I'm speaking to soon. All I know is that having had it this long has given me more motivation to write a review than I think I've had in a long time.
on 27 November 2003
Never in my time have i experienced a more cost effective book, this encyclopedia documents over 2000 anime from as far back as 1917. This book is 500+ pages long and each anime has a review, cast (director, animator etc.) it also contains a rating to warn the viewer if there is sensitive material, V = violence N =nudity L = language.
This book also acts as quite a hands door stop and coffe table.
on 3 March 2003
Firstly, I should point out that I'm a student of graphic design. This being said, I was very dissapointed with this book. I don't blame the author, its really my fault for not researching it a bit more thouroughly before buying it. However, from a visual point of view (which is why I find Animé so fascinating) it offers about as much interest as the classified section of the local newspaper. Aside from having only one (black and white) 1x2 inch picture for every four to 8 or so pages, it didn't help me at all to select which anime may be of interest to me. It literally is a very dull albiet concise encylopedia; that offers no opinions, no reccomendations, but merely outlines the pretext for as many animé productions as they could fisably put into one book, and lists the people involved in the production from cover to cover in alphabetical order.
This is great reference material if your doing some sort of research and need to know rough bits of trivia on animé. But as a coffee table book is offers no apeal whatsoever. I havn't touched it since I got it as it offers no pick-up-and-look-at type appeal. Very boring. More for scholars.
I give it three stars because for what its meant to be, its very good.
on 15 September 2010
WOW, literally wow. the minute i receved this book, it was extremely hard to put down. every type of anime covered. plus also good descriptions of the shows. if is definitely worth every penny
on 17 July 2010
Does what it says on the tin. Although, the 'Thematic Entries' are somewhat impressionistic and lacking in scholarly detail. If this were to be addressed, it might open up a whole new audience for this book. For your average anime fan though, I suppose it would be a must have on the bookshelf.
on 8 February 2009
This encyclopedia has it all, if you like anime it's your one stop shop. Beautifully illustrated and interesting.
on 22 May 2010
Decent as an encyclopedia, and basic information. Not great for the important details and opinions of experts, Roland Kelts, Susan J, Napier recommended for that purpose.