on 30 April 2017
The Anglepoise 1227 I received this morning looks pretty much like the original 1227 I owned and loved in the 1980s. But that's where the similarity ends. This lamp is a shadow of its former self. The switch, inconveniently located on the cord instead of on the top of the shade where it should be, drastically cheapens its appearance and makes the lamp fiddly to turn on and off. As for poise, well my new 1227 just doesn't have any. No matter where I adjust it it immediately floats gently and deliberately down down down to the desktop. Despite tightening the screws. If I remove the bulb, however, bingo, it stays put perfectly, which is kind of funny when you think about it. I paid £122.50 for this famous but ultimately disappointing lamp. I figure it is worth about £50 and that's giving it some. The single star is because I have to admit it looks good. And so, on Monday morning, this baby is going back.
on 22 April 2015
Look at me with my cool lamp on my minimalist desk, right next to my shiny iMac and my carefully positioned iPad Air 2 (128Gig). Watch as I turn it on, not by a switch on the hood of the lamp as you'd imagine, but by the little switch half way down the wire. This is a little annoying as it can be annoying to have to get up and search around down the side of your overpriced, designer desk for it. If I could give it 4.5 stars I would but as I can't, it'll have to be 5.

Other than the switch, I love it. Classic design, barely changed over the years they've been around. Can be poised in any position you like and feels good whilst you do it. Base is nice and heavy and the whole lamp feels very well made.
on 10 August 2017
The Anglepoise 1227 looks pretty much like the original 1227 I owned and loved in the 1980s. But that's where the similarity ends. This lamp is a shadow of its former self. The switch, inconveniently located on the cord instead of on the top of the shade where it should be, drastically cheapens its appearance and makes the lamp fiddly to turn on and off. As for poise, well my new 1227 just doesn't have any. No matter where I adjust it it immediately floats gently and deliberately down down down to the desktop. Despite tightening the screws. If I remove the bulb, however, bingo, it stays put perfectly. The single star is because I have to admit it looks good. Very disapointing.
on 4 October 2016
Well made but very fussy about the bulb weight.
Fluorescent and LED bulbs seem to be too heavy and hence lamp does not stay up. Stronger springs would help. Bit disappointing for the price.
on 10 November 2015
A warning to other buyers - I was tempted into buying an Ecozone Biobulb, Energy-Saving Daylight Bulb, Screw Cap E27, 25W (displayed as 'Frequently Bought Together' by Amazon) only to find that this bulb stops the lamp balancing correctly. The supplied bulb weighs 44g and the Anglepoise website states that the bulb weight is crucial for the lamp's balance. The Ecozone 25W bulb weighs 72g and this is enough to make it droop close to the base.
on 20 April 2016
Good attention to detail and apparently "Made In UK". There is however a fatal flaw in the design. While one joint has adjustable friction that you can change with a thumb wheel, this only damps part of the motion. Another important part of the motion seems to be unadjustable; the joint is riveted. As a result the lamp is floppy, and there's only so much you can do about it.
on 21 October 2017
Great. Classic Design. The ivory cream colour is subtle so looks good in my sitting room and does not look too office-y. Bought it so that I can read in the evenings while my husband watches telly. Now we don't have to have all the lights in the room blazing to enable me to read !
on 26 February 2015
Rubbish black plastic head above lamp - not as shown in photo - that broke after a year of use. Switch stopped working. Doesn't balance properly at all either. Using the proper bulb and CONSTANTLY swings back. Nothing like the originals.
on 26 April 2017
These are a great product. OK Much more expensive than some other Anglepoise type lamps but these are the genuine Anglepoise and the quality is superb.
Very satisfied and have purchased two.
on 11 October 2015
I was amazed with how effortless everything can be adjusted while at the same time the lamp screams style and quality, bought as a deal of the day and with every penny of it. The red is also very nice, yes it is red but not a fringing red, but slightly darker.