on 19 April 2011
Before reading this I must note that I understood a lot about computer, however absolutely nothing about building software. This book has so far been great and would recommend to anyone on the entry level of software programing. More advanced programmers may want to source out something more fast paced as this one truly does take you "one simple step at a time". Nothing too drastic or advance.
on 19 December 2013
Got it and tried to follow the instruction of installing the SDK and eclipse but only managed to follow up to about page 40.. still have to go on youtube and learn from some clips. dont think it is quite updated
on 8 May 2016
Great series of books, I have bought others, easy to read and understand.
on 4 August 2015
Good book for beginners. Neatly written. Simple and plain.
on 17 April 2012
This is a good starter. It does require some basic Java knowledge but it explains well the structure and dependencies of developing Android Apps.

Used in conjunction with a Java Reference book, it is possible to develop useful apps for the community.
on 22 May 2013
Covers the required subject well and gives good advice on the software necessary to create apps. A few more sample apps would have been nice.
on 15 October 2012
My husband is an independent software developer looking to adapt his products for other media. He's really pleased with this book, finding it easy to read and understand. As usual Amazon's delivery was fast and efficient.
on 5 February 2011
This has to be one of the best 'How-to' books I have ever read! I downloaded it to my Kindle and within an hour of first finding this book on Amazon, I had an Android application up and running!

Ok, I do have an extensive background in software engineering and my PC runs Linux, which is obviously an advantage when developing for what is essentially a Linux platform. But neither is a prerequisite. In fact the author is using Windows 7 for all of the examples.

The fact is I really had no knowlage at all about how to go about writing an application for Android until I read this book.

What I really like is the fact that it is written in plain (American) English. Other than an assumption of some Java knowledge, everything is explained in just the right level of detail. Nothing more is assumed and all the important points are covered. The author also injects just the right amount of humour without being patronising.

I have no doubt that this book will get you up and running as an Android developer. It will work just as well for Windows and Mac users as it did for me. I have not read any other books on the subject, so I can't, in all honestly, say that it is the best book out there. But what I can say, is that if you get this book, you will not go far wrong and probably won't need to buy anything more on the subject.

If I had one minor criticism, it would be that the first few pages waffle on about the virtues of Android a little more than I would have liked. I did wonder if the author was being sponsored by Google ;-). But it soon settles down and before you know it, you have your first app up and running.

Worth every star and every penny.
44 Comments| 11 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 April 2011
I started my career in application development, but it is amazing how soon you left application development things move on. I was looking for a book that could get me back in touch with the basic concepts of Android development, and I can categorically say that this is the book.

The 2 application demonstrations, the phone silencer and task reminder application in this book helped me to put all things into perspective, and I can now go on from here to more in-depth material. Anyone one with an understanding of programming can read this book, understand it and begin to build applications that are simply amazing!

If I am an author introducing technical material to beginners, this is how I would like to write. There are many other books on Android out there and I own another 2 of them which are okay, but this the best when describing how best to build applications in Android.

Finally, I believe this book will help me to communicate technical issues in Android in a simple to understand manner. I look forward to Donn's update version on Android 3.0.

Conclusion
Beginning in Android, start with this book, you will not be disappointed. I love the writer's style and how he communicates the material.
on 16 March 2011
This is a thorough introduction to the topic, but it is very much a hand-held journey.
If that is what you need, buy it, but if you have any programming experience you may well get frustrated by the slow pace.
I found Hello, Android: Introducing Google's Mobile Development Platform (Pragmatic Programmers) a much better paced book.