Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop now New Album - Steps Shop now Shop Women's Shop Men's

on 25 October 2013
It arrived a day early and I could not wait to try it out! Did a dough first and the currant loaf was perfect! Then made walnut bread the dispenser was so handy. The result was perfect. I have had 3 breadmakers, none compare with this one.
on 17 February 2016
Have been making bread using this machine for the last 6 months, and although the bread can sometimes be inconsistent (crater bread etc), once you get the recipe right it works well. Have also used it to make pizza dough (which is very easy).
The timer setting is very useful, meaning you can put all the ingredients in before you go to bed and have fresh bread ready for you in the morning.
The loaves tend to be 17 L x 12 W x 15 H cm.
Bakes with the kneading blade in the loaf, which has to be removed from the baked loaf, meaning there is a small hole in the middle of the base of the bread. Also seems to be affected by the outside temperature as well; in a cold room the bread doesn't seem to rise so well, or in a hot one too much.
Haven't had any problems with the product, having baked bread in it on average every other day for the last 6 months, and my girlfriend now prefers it to shop bought bread.

The recipe we use is (put in tin in this order):
350ml water
1 tsp dried yeast
1 tbsp sugar (optional, but needed for a fast loaf)
250g strong white flour
250g strong wholemeal flour
1 tsp salt
25g butter

Bake for a 900g loaf on setting 1.
You want the water / yeast on the bottom, with a flour barrier floating on top, and then the salt on top the flour; the salt kills the yeast if they meet before mixing.
You can use 500g Strong White for a white loaf, instead of the half and half, but 500g wholemeal tends to not rise. Try 400 wholemeal / 100 white, with 370ml water instead.
on 27 December 2013
Very easy to use and makes great bread every time. Simple to clean after use. Can now have a fresh loaf everyday!
on 8 November 2013
i have had bread machines before but none as good as this one it is quiet and every loaf has come out perfectly
on 28 October 2013
This bresd maker is great. Easy to use and makes a variety of loaves and cakes. I particularly like the sheen on the outside.
11 Comment| 29 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 November 2013
The Andrew James Bread Maker arrived the day after ordering which I thought was very quick. I usually make my bread by hand but with my life getting busier and reluctant to buy shop bought bread, I read all the internet reviews and decided on the Andrew James model. I have bought Andrew James electrical items before and found them reliable. Having read the reviews re; poor bread performance I went on the Baking Mad website and downloaded one of their white bread recipes for use in a bread maker. I have made two loaves now and each one has turned out perfect. So despite all the doom and gloom reviews, no problems. I would recommend this item, it arrived swiftly, well packaged and does what it says it will. It's a stylish item, it's quite large sat on the work top but if you have a family you will use this bread maker daily and get good use out of it.
on 29 November 2013
For us, this is bread maker no.4
We hope it is durable because its the best one so far. Easy to use and consistently good results
on 22 October 2013
Good excellent product well pleased with the machine does everything it says it does as looking good on the worktop
on 28 November 2013
It works according to specification. Great buy, great results, can recommend to anyone considering using a bread maker. The container for the dough mix is a better shape than most enabling the finished loaf to easy out easily.
on 8 February 2014
I've never made bread before and was a bit concerned because despite the vast majority of reviews being positive there were quite a lot of worryingly critical reviews from some people. Weighing up the relative cost of this machine to the top rated Panasonic machine (less than half the price) I decided to give this one a go. My daughter suggested a recipe which she uses for a standard white loaf which she finds successful in her old Panasonic breadmaker so I decided to give it a try. Following the instructions I washed out the tin and mixing paddle then put the machine onto bake for 10 to 15 minutes as recommended. The amount of smoke which came out of the vent was fairly concerning but I let it go until the smoke stopped. I then rewashed the tin and started my first loaf of bread. The recipe is quite similar to others mentioned in the reviews and I was going to add a pinch of vitamin C which others recommend but we didn't have any. I set the machine to the dark crust setting as others have said it bakes fairly pale and set the loaf size to 700gms. One thing to note in the recipe I used is that you put in the warm water then a tablespoon of sugar and a teaspoon of yeast. You then allow 10 or 15 minutes for the yeast to activate before adding 400gms of bread flour, four tablespoons of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt on top of the flour. The machine wobbled quite a bit more than I'd expected when mixing but not enough to move it on the worktop. After three mixing and rising cycles it started to bake with about an hour to go. For a first attempt the end result was very pleasing, the bread rose nicely and stayed risen producing a nice shaped loaf which I would say is comparable in shape and size to the sort of small loaf you'd buy from a bakery. The bread is just the right size to fit perfectly into our toaster and made excellent toast. I've posted a picture of the loaf to show it's size and colour which hopefully will show under customers pictures. I don't doubt that some people have had bad experiences with their machines but I can only speak from this first attempt and say it worked perfectly for me.

Edit: I've now had this breadmaker just over a month and have made two loaves a week every week. I've tried three different recipes including a half and half wholemeal/white flour loaf and all have worked fine. On performance to date I'd definitely recommend this machine.

I don't believe it - the price has dropped to less than fifty pounds - buy it before they change their minds!
review image