TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 July 2017
Review of: And Then There Were None (Kindle Edition)
The classic murder mystery in all its glory. A group of people, seemingly strangers, are tricked into coming to stay in a large house on a remote island. Murders begin...one by one...it seems, in order of their own personal guilt, culminating, finally, with the murder of the most culpable. The mounting tension and total feeling of claustrophobia is palpable throughout the book. This is, by no means, my favourite Agatha Christie (although in 2015 it was rated as the worlds most popular Agatha Christie) but it rather stands alone on its own merit - whilst formulaic it's, nonetheless, a fantastic read. ( The audiobook read by Dan Stevens and the recent television adaptation are, also, both very worthwhile). Recommended.
on 21 January 2016
This is much more gritty than your usual Agatha Christie, eg Poirot or Miss Marple. There are no cosy English villages nor is there the traditional 'meeting' at the end where the killer is revealed. This novel takes place in a sort of pressure cooker - 10 people lured to Soldier Island by the mysterious U. N. Owen under various pretences. One by one they are picked off and deception and suspicions soon abound.

The plot is a thrilling mystery with a very satisfying and cunning ending. This is a very punchily written book, with lots of dialogue which one can speed through quickly. This is a fast and furious read and is highly recommended for Christie and general crime fans.
on 1 August 2015
Recently I became something of an Agatha Christie-phile. After easing myself in gently with, what else but, Murder On the Orient Express, I moved quickly on to The ABC Murders and then Evil Under The Sun. The first two I loved; the third, not so much. Then came And Then There Were None, and it absolutely blew me away. Evil Under The Sun's main problem for me was the distinct lack of action - in essence, the book features one brief murder and then concentrates solely on the suspects' alibis. A little dull, I thought. No such problem though with And Then There Were None. The body count is so high that every few pages there's someone getting bumped off. And the set-up - a collection of strangers maroomed in an old, dark house getting picked off one by one - has been copied in movies ranging from thriller to horror to sci-fi.
A hugely enjoyable book then; and one I can't wait to read again, now that I know the twist, to see if I can pick up on all the clues I so obviously missed the first time.
on 28 December 2015
After the first episode of the recent bbc adaptation I was hooked on the story. I managed to just finish the book before the final episode and sat very smugly as the rest of the family were still guessing. Brilliant masterpiece of crime writing keeping you puzzled until the end. This is only the 2nd Agatha Christie novel I've read and after this book I have already started another. Would definitely recommend to any murder mystery fans that enjoy something a little bit more thrilling than the formulaic detector story. (I would also add that the bbc did a very good job in transferring it to screen- a must watch after the book)
on 21 August 2017
Different to any other Agatha Christie story in that there is no detective puzzling over a single murder but ten people stranded on an island (called Soldier Island here, a necessary update) being gradually killed by one of them. The ending was startling, unlike many of the film versions and a stage version which I have seen, The latest television production went back to the roots.It stands the test of time but it makes sense being written in the 1930s that no one had any means to communicate with the outside world.Totally gripping.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 July 2016
I have just finished my third year of university studying a degree in literature - in the last year alone I have read more than 20 novels. However, of all the books I have got through, I have never encountered one so hard to put down as 'And Then There Were None'! No book can be more aptly described as a 'page turner' than this! Christie had my brain working, and my nerves trembling from very early in, and for the first time in my life, I just HAD to stay up until the early hours to finish it!
on 28 December 2015
Reading it a second time in the politically-correct version, it was hard to get used to the "soldier boys" rather than the "n******" which are in the original, but even this couldn't disappoint me so much as to leave less than 5 stars.
For me this is one of Christie's darkest or maybe the darkest novels. Even reading it for a second time, when I already knew who the killer was, couldn't make me more relaxed.
It's one of the types of novels which I'll always recommend for reading not only once, but twice or more. The first time - simply to enjoy the plot and try to guess who the murderer is, the next times - to find the clues which might direct you to suspect the actual murderer.
on 1 May 2014
This one says in the blurb that this is her masterpiece,but she has in my opinion written even better ones,however it is a very good read and well worth getting,Ten people have had an invitation to go to an island,a mixed bunch of people who have never met before but before long it appears they all have one thing in common,which is that they have all got away with murder,and thats when its gets veryinteresting,I cant say much more about it but once you start reading you wont want to stop.which is why I have given it five stars..........
on 20 September 2016
After watching the BBC adaptation of this novel I was desperate to read it. I had already read Murder On the Orient Express and was keen to see how Agatha Christie would write this novel (e.g. from who's perspective).

I was gripped throughout, even despite knowing the sequence of events from the TV trilogy. The characters a well written and the plot line is very intriguing.

My only fault with the novel is that I wish she had gone into a little more depth and developed the characters a little further, whereas the novel is fairly short and fast paced.
VINE VOICEon 5 March 2014
I put a question mark after the title of the review, largely because such a statement is a matter of opinion, but for me this is her finest novel (at least of those I've read). No surprise therefore that it is her best-selling book. The original title and some details of the rhyme and the ceramic figures which feature in the story have been 'updated' to reflect the modern world values, but this has no impact upon the integrity of the story. The story line is well known and a classic creation which has withstood the test of time (although the characters would probably all have mobile phones now!). Essential reading for fans of the murder-mystery genre.