Format: Paperback|Change

on 6 October 2013
I have updated my copy of this excellent text and the latest 5th edition is proving an invaluable resource yet again.

John McLeod writes in a very accessible, easy-to-read style, yet he does not compromise on content. With seven new chapters, this book offers, not just an introduction to the breadth and depth of counselling, but an up-to-date exploration of models and theories, ethics, current issues, the many aspects of practice, and a critical evaluation of the field. Each chapter ends with a conclusion, recommendations for further reading and questions to prompt reflection and discussion.

This text is a useful resource for students at all levels of training. I first bought a copy of this text many years ago when I first started counselling training - it has proved to be invaluable. Each new edition seems to have grown with me and offered more. As I move on to a doctorate in counselling psychology this latest 5th edition remains an excellent resource. I highly recommend this book.
on 26 November 2013
This book is one of the best for those new to the study of counselling. It outlines theories clearly and is useful for anyone submitting counselling assignments and hoping to pursue a career in this area.
on 25 December 2013
The book arrived quickly and was in perfect condition.
I have found the book to be a bit vague and I didn't find it gave enough information about how the theories worked. I am still reading so may find it better as I get on with it.
on 12 June 2014
This latest edition may seem quite expensive to purchase, but it is worth its weight in gold. It is a comprehensive resource likely to be of great value to students on counselling courses. Impressively well-researched with references to recent research in the field which are up-to-date and relevant. You will not regret buying this for your bookshelf as you will find yourself referring to it again and again.
on 18 June 2014
I have bought this book twice, first on paper and then electronically. It is my go-to book for anything counselling related (I am training in the person centered tradition). It has something illuminating, nuanced, informative and clear to say on literally any subject. The best book on counselling I own, and I own a lot.
on 9 January 2014
This book is a must for those on the Level 4 Diploma in Counselling. It covers so many aspects of counselling and is so easy to understand. It covers a lot of the topics on the Diploma and is therefore an invaluable tool for any student.
on 17 October 2014
I really didn't like this book. The author clearly has a lot to say but he seems held back by the idea of it being an 'introduction'. I found it frustrating and eventually I gave up on it. I am interested that other people seem to like it - perhaps it really is encouraging to people who are at the very beginning, but if you have ANY counselling experience you may also struggle with the tiny steps the author takes
on 17 June 2015
This book was very helpful when writing a counselling essay I was set at university, it also makes good reading before lectures.
on 11 January 2014
The book is writen in a very accessible way. The authors writing style is colorful and has a nice flow to it.
on 26 February 2016
Helps me a lot with the counselling side of my degree, would definitely recommend.