Customer reviews

on 7 September 2014
A nice selection of short stories by some of the best authors in their field.
Some of the authors I hadn't heard of before but after reading their stories I am certainly looking them up on Amazon.
A great gift for Halloween
TOP 1000 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 30 August 2013
3 stars for the whole anthology but 4.5 stars if I was just rating Magic Tests by Ilona Andrews

An Apple for the Creature is an anthology containing 13 school related stories that would probably make great holiday reading around Halloween. As with most anthologies I found the quality of the stories was a bit hit and miss, there were several I enjoyed but I doubt I'll read the book again. In fact, I think the only story I would go out of my way to re-read is Magic Tests by Ilona Andrews which is the story I bought the anthology for in the first place. I'll talk more about that one in a minute but I just want to mention a couple of the other stories first.

Sympathy for the Bones by Marjorie M. Liu was a creepy tale about a girl who has been raised by a witch and is learning to curse people using voodoo, I enjoyed the story and if I hadn't already been a fan of the author it would have definitely made me check out some of her other books. The other story I really enjoyed was Golden Delicious by Faith Hunter. I've had the Jane Yellowrock series on my wish list for a while now and after reading that story I'll be bumping it up the list. I liked the humour of the story and I'm very interested to find out more about the world the author has created. I'm hoping that Rick and the characters who make up his detective team are major players in the series because I really liked them. Some of the other stories were OK reads but none of them particularly stand out enough for me to rave about them.

I already mentioned that I only really wanted to read this for the Ilona Andrews story Magic Tests and I have to say that was the best part of the book. It was worth buying just for this story alone and I'll definitely pick it up again when I do my next Kate Daniels re-read. I've always quite liked Julie's character, she can be a little annoying at times but I think she is a fairly typical teenager in that regard, and it was nice to see a story from her point of view. Although this story isn't essential reading as part of the series because it doesn't really effect the ongoing story arc it was nice to get to know Julie a bit better and I'd actually like to see more from her POV in the future. We've all seen how much Julie hates the boarding school that Kate sent her to and now she's home and living in the Keep she seems to think she can get away without going to school at all. Kate has other plans for her though and she has a very clever way of getting Julie to go along with them. We are introduced to some great new characters but the one I was most excited about seeing again was Yu Fong (you may remember him from Dali's short story Magic Dreams). I was already hoping he'd end up being a major character in the series and now I'm thinking he's more likely to re-appear thanks to his friendship with Julie. I loved getting to see Julie grow up a bit and actually work out a way to use her ability to help someone else and I'd definitely like to see her get her own book or spin off series in the future.

I'd say if you're a huge fan of the Kate Daniels series like I am then it's worth buying the anthology just for Magic Tests but otherwise you might want to consider borrowing it from the library and saving yourself the money.

I thought I'd include a list of all of the short stories included in this anthology for your information:
1. Playing Possum - Charlaine Harris (Part of the Sookie Stackhouse Series)
2. Spellcaster 2.0 - Jonathan Maberry
3. Academy Field Trip - Donald Harstad
4. Sympathy for the Bones - Marjorie M. Liu
5. Low School - Rhys Bowen
6. Callie Meet Happy - Amber Benson (Part of the Calliope Reaper-Jones Series)
7. Iphigenia in Aulis - Mike Carey
8. Golden Delicious - Faith Hunter (Part of the Jane Yellowrock Series)
9. Magic Tests - Ilona Andrews (Part of the Kate Daniels Series)
10. An Introduction to Jewish Myth and Mysticism - Steve Hockensmith
11. VIS - Nancy Holder
12. The Bad Hour - Thomas E. Sniegoski (Part of the Remy Chandler Series)
13. Pirate Dave and the Captain's Ghost - Toni L.P. Kelner
VINE VOICEon 22 February 2013
This was one I was really looking forward too because of Ilona Andrews and that story was so-so. The Charlaine Harris story was practically the only other story worth reading, this is a real shame as this is quite a pricey anthology too.
on 11 November 2013
Like other reviewers I bought this anthology for the Ilona Andrews story which I enjoyed. Other stand out stories were Sympathy for the Bones and Iphigenia in Aulis, both beautifully written. The other stories ranged along a scale from 'enjoyable' (Golden Delicious for example) to 'how did this ever get published?' (Callie meet Happy). I'm glad I didn't pay full price for this book.
on 2 December 2013
Overall I enjoyed this anthology. Although I bought it primarily for the Ilona Andrews story (about Julie starting school), the two strongest tales by far were Inphignia in Aulis by Mike Carey and Sympathy for the Bones by Marjorie Liu. Both were well written, engaging narratives clearly crafted as short stories rather than spin offs. Admittedly 3 of the stories were extremely dull, however at the present Kindle price this anthology is a bargain- a variety of authors and enough in there for a light entertaining read. Be warned, if you looking for sexy vampires, fairies or weres in the Sookie story you are going to be disappointed. If you liked Carey's story, it has been rewritten into a full length novel - The Girl with all the Gifts, due for release in Jan 2014.
on 1 August 2013
I only bought this book for the ilona andrews story; which was amazing but read the whole thing, mostly their where a number of stories that where extremly slow and some which where mostly boring with spaks of brillence, my main problem was that other then ilona andrews book they mosly lacked humour i assoiate with this genre. Definanly worth a read but not at full price i would pay about £3 for it
on 17 April 2014
I'm a big fan of Charlaine Harris and Ilona Andreas which is why I bought this book. I wasn't disappointed - it was great! More importantly, I enjoyed all the stories (which isn't always the case when you buy a collection).
on 16 July 2014
Very enjoyable read. Good storyline just what you would expect from Charlene Harris and I will be looking out for more books from her co author Toni Kelner
on 6 May 2014
I enjoy having short stories on hand because they help pass an hour. These stories are all a good read without exception! More of the same please!
on 25 November 2012
A fine selection of short stories very enjoyable and gives a chance to take note of a selection of writers for further investigation