on 16 December 2013
Although I found the content of the book eye-opening and interesting, I was hugely disappointed with this particular edition. At first glance the book seems beautifully published (I love the feel of the cover and design looks clean) but it is littered with typos which begin already in the note by the translator. There is something cringe-inducing in a book about acting that misspells Molière and Comédie-Française even before it properly begins. One could overlook this given that these are foreign names but the entire content looks like somebody scanned an analogue copy of the book that had been published using a serif font, run an OCR, changed the font and published the result without giving it even a quick read-through which gave rise to plenty of annoying little mistakes like "arid" instead of "and" or "acton" or instead of "actors". I was looking forward to buying the other two Stanislavski books published in the series but instead, I am now on a lookout for their older editions and will not go near the Bloomsbury Revelations series again.
13 people found this helpful
on 9 February 2017
Both Roger McGuinn and Peter Case told me to read this, that it would help me prepare for live concerts. They are both terrific musicians in solo concert performance so I thought there might be something to it and by God, they were right! I recommend this is all young musicians who don't know how to act cool and hip onstage and who feel self-conscious under the spotlight. I am being serious here.
on 17 April 2017
Great book - but this edition is truly terrible. The translation is horrible and it is littered with misspellings, sometimes 4-5 per page. It is clear that this edition has been made "by a machine", as in some form of subpar scanning tool and then not proof-read by anyone.

More so, the book could use a re-writing by someone who practices acting or directing today. Still, in its original form, it's still worth a read - just not this terrible edition.
One person found this helpful
on 30 January 2014
So, the book - wonderful, I recommend it to everybody interested in performance, but the Bloomsbury Revelations edition is appalling! Spelling mistakes all over the place, seriously everywhere! And this isn't just me being a pedant, there are occasional spelling mistakes in a lot of books which is normally not a problem, however here it is rampant. Another reviewer mentions the same problem so essentially - avoid this edition like the plague!
3 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 28 November 2016
I'm outsider looking in at acting. This blew me away for its simplicity and understanding of human nature. Would love to go through a similar experience of the people in the book. Only bad part is towards the end where I found the meaning got confused with the ambiguous words. That could just be me being dumb. So buy it even if you don't act. It's ace.
on 23 October 2017
I'm currently studying Stan as a practitioner in my drama college, and I can't explain how much of a lifesaver this book is. Well worth the purchase for any actor in training :)
One person found this helpful
on 27 February 2017
Nice book, to help and inspire.

Which is more than can be said for the Drama tutor! (Failed actress teaches drama).
on 24 September 2009
Every page, every situation and exercise described, is full of truth, useful, practical, full of wisdom and interesting to be reading...! I was astonished to find so much in this book, everything so evident, but the kind of evidence you have to be told before you take conscience of it...
Useful both for students and people interested in theatre or art in general.
2 people found this helpful
on 28 February 2017
Amazing book, as someone who's studying drama I've really enjoyed reading this so far!
on 2 November 2016
Bought this for my son who is studying it for A Level Drama. He seems to be enjoying it!