Among You: The Extraordinary True Story of a Soldier Broken by War Paperback – 7 Nov 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
"Jake Wood writes unflinchingly about his life, whether on the battlefields of Iraq and Afghanistan, the trading desks of Canary Wharf or the frenzied, hallucinatory landscape of sexual passion . . . A more pertinent story of our time it is hard to imagine" (John Irvin, director of Hamburger Hill)
"The most haunting and moving account of how battle scars your mind" (Daily Mail)
"Jake Wood tells his story with an expert eye for detail . . . intensely gripping and emotional" (The Scotsman)
"As a military historian, I have read thousands of first-hand accounts of war, in all its gore and glory, brutality and suffering. But there were tears in my eyes as I followed Wood’s story of his descent into the bleakness of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder" (Tony Rennell Daily Mail)
"Jake Wood is . . . a burning man who shapes sentences with a poet's heart and a fighter's rage . . . This one soldier's story is indeed extraordinary and a reminder that if you can write like Jake Wood, your life - whether lived in your head or in the world at large - will be far from ordinary" (The National)
An extraordinary and very real account of the impact of modern combatSee all Product Description
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
I couldn't disagree with your review more. A couple of points:
1. By your own admission you have not read the book in full, just excepts. If you had you would know that the subject matter of the book and understand the context.
2. Warts and all, it's all true. I'm not sure how you describe him as a fantasist as you barely knew him and didn't work with him at all on Herrick 6.
3. Jake was not involved in the Mortar incident. That was another soldier deployed in Now Zad where he didn't go all tour.
Among You does not take anything away from the FSTs of 19 Reg and the fantastic job they all did during an extremely tough tour. Jake describes his experiences candidly and truthfully and their effect on him in theatre and at him on his return.
It's a fantastic book and it would be more appropriate if you read the whole thing before commenting.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Brilliant book very gripping you won't want to put it down.Published 10 months ago by Ms. T. Baxter
Great read, very well written book that deals with the fall out of going to war as a reserve soldier where you are expected to slit back into your "normal" lifePublished 14 months ago by Mr. Carl P. Feldman
Arrived fast. New copy so writer gets royalties from the sale. A brilliant enlightening thought provoking read.Published 15 months ago by Observant
Inspiring and heartbreaking. A must read. I bought it as heard it being called a must read book on a television programme and have bought loads as presents. Read morePublished 20 months ago by Laura
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Artists, Architects & Photographers
- Books > Biography > Historical
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Medical
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Psychology
- Books > Biography > Political
- Books > Biography > Social & Health Issues
- Books > Health, Family & Lifestyle > Psychology & Psychiatry > Pathological Psychology
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > Central Asia
- Books > History > Countries & Regions > Asia > Middle East > Iraq
- Books > History > Military History > Military Life & Institutions