Customer reviews

on 8 February 2012
This is a volume of poetry published by W.B.Yeats in 1899, when he was 34. The poems are beautifully crafted, highly romantic lyrics of his youth; 'I have spread my dreams under your feet;/Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.'
The Kindle edition is nicely formatted and navigable to individual poems.
It is strange that there are no editions of Yeats' complete poems available for ebook readers as he is out of copyright, having died in 1939. I suspect it has something to do with Project Gutenberg, the prime source of many ebook free versions, not yet having produced an etext of the complete poems.
UPDATE July 2012 Delphi Classics have now produced a lovely edition of Yeats's complete poetry and plays.
on 17 June 2013
Before I begin, I must say, I am utterly biased - I love Yeats' poetry. It is so beautiful, so sparsely written, with never a word out of place, and yet so evocative and lyrical. This volume of poems is no different. There is a big emphasis on Irish folklore on it, and in this edition there are a lot of the stories in the notes at the back of the book (in fact there are more stories than there are poems - but to be honest, I was only really bothered about the poems - let them speak for themselves, that's what I say!)

And how they speak! I defy anyone not to be swept away with the romanticism of the poetry presented to the reader here. Beautifully crafted poems of love and romance. There are undoubtedly some you will recognise in this volume ("Tread softly because you tread on my dreams") and maybe some which will be new to you, but which are equally beautiful and moving to read.

There is something about reading Yeats's poetry which is good for one's soul - read it now, it's free and it will enrich you.
William Butler Yeats was a powerhouse of Irish poetry starting a renaissance in that country with the wondrous beauty of his poetry. We have here a lovely edition of this book, which also includes an active table of contents and also pages of notes to give you a better idea of the poems and their influences.

Yeats took in supernatural beliefs in his life and incorporated them in his poetry, as well as using quite a lot of symbolism. Using Irish legends and folktales he created some of the most loved poetry there is and is rightly considered one of the greatest poets of the 20th Century. As you read this book you get a feel for the Emerald Isle and its history, from a natural viewpoint as well as one that weaves the legends of the landscape and people into its structure.
on 7 May 2014
Perfect example of Yeats greatest work,A volume that the reader can immerse ones self in,Yeats needs no introduction so I would recommend this book to everybody .
on 29 May 2013
Great poems. I recommend to everyone who loves a old english/irish poetry. I made 4 stars cuz actual size of a book is more square than it appeared on a photo. I like it anyway.
on 31 July 2015
What can I say, it's Yeats! Wonderful!