on 16 May 2011
Interesting ideas, a good character, well written, but two things are getting on my nerves. One is the use of characters from the authors other books, which always seems a particularly lazy plot device, to me. The other is that these books are actually very short, and even then a good 20 to 30 per cent of the 'book' is taken up with adverts for, and previews of, the authors other books. So you're actually paying for a short story, making them rather poor value for money.
on 27 July 2016
Has a lot to recommend but ...

While there is a lot going for this series, I'm afraid I'm done now. I enjoyed book 1, the premise, the characters but by book 3, I'm expecting a bit more depth, some emotional development. There were lots of great things, I liked the developing vampire senses and abilities of Sam but the way she finds out more about her powers is often just too convenient.
Lots of interesting characters have been introduced, and yet more in each book, but I'm left wanting more ... some emotional connection or development between them and Sam. It feels as if she bumbles from one to the next and none of them serve a real purpose apart from window dressing. Characters need to develop to deserve their place on the page, Fang, the werewolf & Sherbert. I don't feel there's any real depth to these characters or really see why they feature other than to entertain.
By book three, everything is starting to get repetitious with ongoing descriptions of detective Sherbert's jelly stains and popping buttons, Sam's penchant for bulky men etc, etc And then there are various things that just jar, the children are a convenient plot device to show Sam's continuing humanity but seriously she has to leave them with the clearly long suffering Mary Lou all the time and has no real interaction with them, they contribute nothing else and are more like paper cut outs than real characters. Even when her son's death is imminent, Sam is off detecting ( I don't think so).
A real shame because I've enjoyed the writing the premise, but I feel I'm being milked as a reader particularly with the abrupt endings in the middle of a story arc. Once I might swallow but not again and again.
on 6 June 2011
Whilst I like this series, I am getting increasingly irritated by the product placement of the author's other novels. 20% of the book is comprised of this making it a novella or short story rather than a novel. Not impressed, it detracts from what is otherwise a very gripping and new take on the vampire theme.
on 8 December 2012
This instalment of Vampire For Hire is much darker than the first two. Ok, its a vampire story, all about blood and death and immortality - I get it!! Vampires are dark creatures of the night!! But does Samantha Moon have to suffer so much? Having said that, there seems to be a sick understanding of child mortality in this book. It makes your heart bleed for Sam. But maybe she would find it easier to cope if she just let one of her huge hunky men into her life on a more emotional and physical level. Just saying!! Glad that the ex can't yank her strings any more though.
Will plod on with the series but need to slow down a bit!! These books are so addictive and easy to read!! Samantha Moon's world is both fascinating and intriguing....But maybe I need to live in my world for a while!!
on 19 April 2011
This third instalment gets straight to the point and begins where the second book left off, which I'm pleased about. I'm loving Samantha Moon's character more and more as her story evolves and I love the fact that everyone she meets and who helps her with her PI cases seem to want to help her anyway possible and even protect her. Although she feels very much alone in the world as a vampire, Moon has more people that care for her and her family than she realises. Book three has another enthralling story and the fact that she can solve two cases whilst dealing with traumatic personal issues just shows how strong a character Moon is.

Thanks J R Rain for writing a brilliant series and I'm looking forward to October when book four, Moon Child comes out, if its anything like the last three books, its going to be an emotional ride.
on 3 June 2015
I love Mrs Moon I think J.R has created a wonderful character, I like the funny way she looks at the world some times and the plots are always good, every time I finish one of these books I'm looking forward to the next one, my only complaint is that I read them in a flash, I wish they were a bit longer, its because I'm enjoying them and don't want them to end.I think its a great series.
on 22 May 2011
So glad I found this author and the great character of Samantha Moon. Like the way each book continues on with the same characters, letting you find out more and more about them as well as introducing new ones.
If you love vampire/ thrillers/ kick ass heroes versus villains then you'll love these books.
Its well written, funny, thrilling and leaves you wanting more!!
Highly recommend and roll on the summer for No 4 :-)
on 29 August 2012
After being left up in the air at the end of #2 as to who Sam's cyber confidant/'lover' was, I would never in a million years expected it to be the first black President of the U S who's name escapes me. Of course it's not but well done JR for keeping your followers in suspense.
As this series progresses, Sam just gets better at what she knows and does best, Vamping with a bit of PI work thrown in and endeavouring to keep her family life intact.
She's now getting particular about the blood she drinks, I'm half expecting her to comment on a fine bouquet with a hint of cinnamon and after taste of honey, (very Oz Clarke style).
Nice to see Jim Knighthorse with more than just a cameo role and what can I say about Aaron.
The more you read the series, the more three dimentional each of the characters become and JR has cleverly kept each one of them on the front burner.
Just as sure as the sun is going to rise in the East, JR manages to conclude with yet another cliff hanger and personal dilemma for Sam.
I long for the day when I can sit at a bar with Sam et al, if she's buying, mines a double - AB Rhesus negative.
Keep writing JR, you are in demand!
on 19 July 2011
I've enjoyed this and the other 2 books in the series but be warned none of the books come to a proper conclusion. (Until the next book that is)
Cliff hangers are okay for a weekly t.v. series but not when you have to wait moths for the next book. What would happen if the writer became ill after being bitten by a vampire, would they continue writing? I hardly think so. This for me is taking the edge off what is a very good series of books. There is a bit too much angst and sexual tension from our leading lady vampire but why she doesn't just clear this out of the way with one of her many willing admirers I don't really know? Needs tidying up a bit as it detracts from the overall story in my opinion. I'm not going to copy other reviews as you get the picture, but this is a great read apart from the fact you're always left hanging. Bit of a spoiler there but I don't care as there will be others who hate this in a book. I know I do.
on 17 December 2013
Nice characters and mini-stories but I realised I was paying quite a hefty price for short stories particularly when the last 15% of the book was advertising his other books and a couple of the books didn't even have actual endings other than "tune in next week to find out".