on 8 July 2017
Reading this novel a second time after more than 15 years does make for an enriching experience. I am made even more aware of Gaiman’s mastery of Nordic mythology and marvel at the way he has melded both the stories of folkloric gods and the lost luster of contemporary America. Bearing in mind the spate of superhero movies that sees these Nordic gods battling it out and wreaking havoc in America mostly came after Gaiman’s book reminds the reader how much of a forerunner the author is.

Almost every character in this expansive work has a backstory and surprising connection to a mythical god and they form part of this alternative universe that main protagonist Shadow lands himself in after being let out of prison just a few days ahead of finishing his sentence for a grisly reason. He lands a job with a grifter and master conman Wednesday, who leads him on a psychedelic cross country quest that is as wild as Dorothy’s journey to the Emerald City laced with acid.

The consequences of lost faith on the fortunes of gods who lose their significance are presented in a darkly humorous and allegorical way that only Gaiman knows how. Shadow finds out the true god identity of a former cell mate who explains his fallen mortal state: “You got to understand the god thing. It's not magic. Not exactly…. You take all the belief, all the prayers and they become a kind of certainty, something that lets you become bigger, cooler, more than human…. And then one day they forget about you, and they don't sacrifice, and they don't care, and the next thing you know you're running a three card monte game on the corner of Broadway and 43rd”.

Richly entertaining and mystical - definitely worth the revisit.
on 27 June 2017
I cannot get the tv series but intrigued by the trailers, decided to read the book instead. This was a rare wise decision for me. I love this book! The mysterious, magical plot, the fascinating characters with the central main character Shadow the most interesting of them all. I've always loved mythology , so working out who the gods were was part of my enjoyment of the book. My favourites were the Egyptian gods.
on 20 June 2017
Recommended by a friend after I finished never where... I loved every minute of it and barely put the damn thing down. Sometime there is so much going on it seems complicated but it is necessary and it all comes together eventually, in to one amazing storyline and ending.
If you read anything this week read this.... Then watch the series....
on 4 July 2017
...not only the fact that the book ends on the fourth of July and today is the fourth of July but also the storyline, characters and world.

But what do you expect when you read a Neil Gaiman book?

I've enjoyed myself enormously and decided not to watch the series. It could only be disappointing :-)!

If you like crazy books and stories please feel free to chuck yourself into it with all your re-incarnations ;-)
on 26 June 2017
I know Neil Gaiman through graphic novels like Miracle Man and The Sandman so when Amazon Kindle suggested American Gods I was already sold.
Blissfully unaware that I was late to the this authors literary party I was intrigued as to wether this could keep me interested but I needn't have worried.
The story unfolds in layers with short asides to flesh out said gods and keeps you turning the page and following Shadow the main character on his fragile journey in which he observes and accepts surreal events where others would not.
I'll definitely be searching out other titles by this author and I'm also excited to have finished the book in time to watch the new tv version.
on 22 June 2017
been watching the series on amazon and just had to buy the book, both are excellent, love that a red book marker is provided to keep the page you finish on. never read anything by this author before, he is an exceptional writer and this is wonderful book.
on 30 June 2017
This is Neil Gaiman at his best. I wanted to read this book for a long time but never got around to it. Then I heard they were making a TV program of the book so I decided to read it before the great popularity machine took for its own and distorted it for the mass consumption. I wasn't disappointed it has a great central figure in Shadow, worthy of several more stories yet , and fit to rival the great Sandman .
on 4 July 2017
You may have heard that this gets very weird in places, and it absolutely does. It's a bloomin' great read though. My second Neil Gaiman book (I started with Good Omens), and I'll definitely read more.
on 16 July 2017
Loved the book. Totally unpredictable, unexpected twists and downright brilliant. The characters weave into the each story and cross time and faith. Each god has their own form of worship for power and all have humility. The confusion of Shadow translates well from the book and keeps the reader page turning until well past bedtime. A must read for anyone who enjoys fiction as well as curiosity.

Also includes a short story at the end, which is also brilliant.
on 23 July 2017
This is a great book but it annoyed the hell out of me. It annoyed me I didn't pick up on Low Key' name even when I knew it was a story about gods
It annoyed me it told me all about two man grifts and then I didn't see it coming even when we're warned its a con all the way through
Are these my faults or is the writing just that good?
I dunno read it for yourself and get back to me