Format: Paperback|Change

I'm already a big fan of Abby Clements - I've loved her books ever since I picked up her first release, Meet Me Under The Mistletoe, and so when I heard that Abby was releasing another book, I was very pleased! I absolutely love the title - it sounded like such a cosy title and so I sat down to read it on a cold Autumn day when I was inside wrapped up in a big jumper with a hot chocolate!

Amelia had dreams of being cosy in a cottage with her husband Jack, but in reality, they're living in a cramped one-bedroom flat in Hackney. After deciding to move, they come across a cottage that needs some work doing to it, and Amelia falls in love with it! Doing a makeover can't be that hard surely? Soon they realise that their dream home will be harder to achieve than they first thought, threatening not only their dream place but their marriage too. As Amelia throws herself into stripping wallpaper and working on their perfect home, will both home and love finally come together?

I was hoping that I'd enjoy this given I'd loved Abby's other novels and I was thrilled to say that Abby is back on form again with her latest release.

I liked how realistic Abby kept the story. Moving house is often very stressful, busy and time-consuming...I've been spending some time helping my brother fix up his new house so I know how much work and effort goes in. I feel Abby did a fantastic job of portraying this aspect in her novel, it was very realistic and true to life and at times I almost felt as though I was with Amelia pulling the wallpaper off and watching her home undergo its transformation. I loved the detail Abby put it about Amelia and Jack's home, I could imagine the changes that were happening and I could almost see the new house coming to life in front of me. I genuinely felt so much excitement for them as I saw their dream house building up bit by bit and becoming a reality...I'm now very keen to up and move to a beautiful cottage!

The characters were brilliant. Amelia is a likeable character and I warmed to her straight away. Like Amelia, I too dream of one day having a cottage in the countryside so I was really cheering her on and hoping that she managed to get her fireside dream with her husband Jack. I loved Jack and Amelia as a couple too, I could see that they loved each other deeply and the romantic in me was rooting for them throughout!

Amelia Grey's Fireside Dream is a warm read that really touched my heart, and it was such a beautiful story. This is the PERFECT novel to curl up with this Autumn and Winter!
on 25 October 2013
I have liked all of Abby Clements previous books, especially meet me under the mistletoe, although I liked the whole idea of this book I did find Amelia selfish and annoying. Still look forward to next book though.
VINE VOICEon 19 July 2014
Amelia has a dream of a cosy cottage, an open log fire, with all the rooms decorated just so. All her own work. It is a dream, she really lives in a flat in London and is a teacher in a secondary school.

But actions force Amelia to confront her dream head on and finally she is out of London and in the country. Working her way to creating the perfect cottage. It is not going to be easy for Amelia nor is it going to be perfect.

Rather than walking into the perfect place, Amelia and her husband Jack decide to makeover a cottage which needs a lot of work. Jack, is less than reluctant about the whole idea from moving to the country let alone renovating a cottage with no skills of their own.

Amelia is a determined woman and character and she begins to throw her whole energy to this one task. She has mood boards for each room, which precede a number of the chapters as we see this cottage come to life but Amelia's stability with Jack, her mother and her new-found love, a dad who owes money as well as a rather spiky teenage sister start to crumble.

This is a very light read but for me was a bit like watching a renovation programme on television from beginning to end, all the details, the stresses and strains of renovating and the problems and discoveries along the way. It felt like the characters were added in after all of that. Which is a real shame, because I thought the book had potential, especially when Amelia found something about the previous owner. But that really was rather glossed over and could have developed a lot more.

A book for fans of dreaming over interior magazines and the like. But if you want a story with a lot more substance then I would pass this book by.
Amelia and Jack a young couple that move from the city to the country from modern to old. Just knew this was going to be an easy but enjoyable read by Abby Clements and one that held me interested when resting up with a bad back. Arguments about if the house is the right one and why it is come around. The usual rows about who wants what where and why.
Yes Amelia wants the perfect picture country cottage with roses around the door and everything just so, but by trying to create that she nearly destroys her relationship with Jack. Going through the history of the cottage, the wallpaper the spirit of the house seems to come alive and you start thinking yes you can tell just how involved she is with her house project. If you have a love of old houses and love interior design this is worth a read as such an easy but enjoyable one.
on 2 October 2015
A VERY ENJOYABLE EASY READ - INTERESTING CHARACTERS AND STORYLINE. BASED AROUND BUYING AND DOING UP A VERY RUN-DOWN COTTAGE AND GARDEN IN THE COUNTRY - THIS BOOK IS A MUST FOR THOSE EMBARKING ON THE SAME SORT OF PROJECT - THOROUGHLY INSPIRING. CHAPTERS JUST THE RIGHT LENGTH FOR PICKING UP AND PUTTING DOWN IN A BUSY LIFE.
on 25 June 2014
Yet again Abby Clements has done it again with a really nice feel good book.
Found it difficult to put down.
The story is about Amelia having dreams of living in a little cottage in
the countryside with her husband, but to start with they live in a cramped one-bedroom flat in Hackney, just like most people starting off in married life. Once they had decided to move, they started to look for the perfect house. This always comes at a price, so Amelia had the idea of doing it up herself. As usual this they came to realise is always harder than you first think. The story tells of her ups and downs within the cottage and her marriage......
on 15 November 2013
Our book club chose it as light reading ... I guess it was light reading and I am not averse to some nice cosy feel good books but this was so unrealistic, it made me cross. It should be Amelia Grey's Fireside Pie in the Sky.
on 10 December 2013
A lovely, gentle read- very relaxing :) an ideal book to snuggle up with when you want to unwind and destress
on 14 October 2013
This was the first book I read by this author and I bought it because I start reading Christmas books after my birthday at the end of September. The plot is simple but I thought if well-developed and she describes a lovely atmosphere that is cozy and comforting. If you want an intellectually challenging book, then you'll have to look elsewhere but if you are after a nice little escape, you could do worse than this. I enjoyed the book a great deal and I am happy to recommend it.
on 14 October 2013
This was a lovely book, as some others have described it, it is definitely warm and fuzzy. Definitely chick-lit, so don't be prepared for a literary wonder, but it is a nice read.

I like the main character Amelia, and I also like the little DIY snippets and descriptions of renovating her dream cottage. The ending was predictable, but all in all a nice, easy read.