Customer reviews

Format: Hardcover|Change

on 19 December 2013
This book was a very weird buy for me. Never bought anything like it and I didn't really understand the title at all. But there was a good review in New Yorker which got me into it. And the book isn't too long. Which is good.

The book is unashamedly hard-core intellectual. Malcolm M does not dumb down his topic or compromise for readers like me who are new to this whole field. So there was an intelligent delight in reading something which pushed me hard to understand it.

And then there were the total jaw drop ideas. Like this one. What's the difference between road markings (like parking restrictions, or stop signs painted onto the surface of the road) and street graffiti? Both involve the same technique. One is prohibited. The other prohibits disobedience.

I have been looking at all sorts of signs, both fixed and moving, both placards and on LED screens, with a new wonder. As a city lover this book opened my eyes to a new classification of what I see every day.

I would recommend this to someone like me, who likes a challenge sometimes. It's more of a short story which needs you to focus than a long novel which forgives the page flipping.

And I'd like to thank Malcolm very much for inspiring me.