TOP 500 REVIEWERon 11 May 2015
I purchased this cable to extend access to my USB 3.0 ports which I only have two of and they are on the back of my very large desktop machine and was sick and tired of having to get on my hands and knees and under my desk to access the ports.

Thanks to this cable and a USB 3.0 hub I now have on desk access for my various USB 3.0 odds and sods such as a few external hard drives and USB thumb drives. If you are reading this I am sure you already know that there is no comparison in speed between USB 2 and 3 it's like night and day and when I buy any USB gear I deliberately make sure it's USB 3.0 as it's super quick compared to the older USB platforms.

I ran various speed tests on my USB ports and then with using this cable and there is no and I mean zero speed loss by using this cable which I was impressed with.

The "basics" part of the name made me think it might be cheap and nasty but it feels and looks very well made and actually feels like a premium product or as premium as a USB cable can be!
VINE VOICEon 15 March 2015
This is a useful this to have, just in case you ever need it. In my case, I mostly usually use it to extend my phone charging cable in hotel rooms if the socket is too far away from the bed, combined with a 2.5m cable, which makes a difference.

It's USB 3.0, so it also means that it's compatible with more modern, faster usb devices. The two USB 3.0 items I have, an external hard disk and a USB hub, both come with very short cables, so this extension is very useful for that.

Construction seems solid, and the only minor quibble I have is that the cable is relatively thick, so it takes up more space in your bag than you might expect if you're carrying it about. Other than that, it seems absolutely fine and is very useful.
on 3 January 2016
I used this to extend the charge cable for my Playstation Vita(1000) and it works great. The Vita itself has a high amp requirement to charge and after reading other reviews I was worried this cable wouldn't hold enough power, but that wasn't the case.

I can only assume others who have issues charging through this cable use a charge plug that is too weak. I use a 2A charger and it works great with all my devices including Apple ones.

The cable itself is much thicker than I expected, but that's more of a good thing, especially for data transfer and charge speed.
I've been using it for a while now and I'm very pleased.
on 17 December 2014
Pros:
The cables themselves are quite chunky and look like they are well made.
They do actually work with USB3.0 and older devices.

Cons:
They're quite stiff and refuse to stay straight or lay flat.
They do not work as iPhone/iPad Mini charge cables with the lower output chargers, i.e. the standard Apple 1A chargers. They do work with the higher output chargers.

I bought two 2m versions of these to use as iPhone and iPad Mini charger extension cables, but they didn't work so I should give this a 1 star rating. However, the product appears to be well made and certainly worth the sub £6 price tag for a good USB3.0 extension cable, so I should give it a 5 star rating.
I'll settle for 3 stars
on 30 May 2014
Brilliant cables and just the right length to extend from my computer and feed through the back of the computer desk up the back and out between the desk and the monitor. I wanted these so I could easily plug in camcorders and cameras etc to my USB3 ports but not wanting to pull out everything from the computer desk to do so. These cables fit the bill perfectly.

They are solid/sturdy and will certainly last a good while. They are USB3 compliant and just do what they are supposed too. For the price they are a snip so I bought 2 of them and can now plug in a range of add ons easily from my desk. I will try and upload a pic so you can see how neat they look.

Thanks Colin.
on 17 March 2016
It's an extension cable. It works.

What did I use it for? Well, modern PCs have USB 3.0, which most people don't realise can interfere with wireless mice & keyboards as a similar frequency (around 5GHz) is used in both. I used this cable to bring the wireless USB receiver closer to the mouse (taping it under the desk), and solved a nagging connectivity problem I'd had with the mouse freezing occasionally.
on 29 September 2014
I use this as an extension for my 3.0 mouse. My PC is beside my TV on the opposite side of the room from my sofa and I'm not a fan of a wireless mouse, especially when gaming. Works well so far, definitely seems to respond faster than the previous extension I used which was 2.0.

The cable is a bit thick and stiff, but this also means greater durability. Some may find this annoying however for cable management, not me though; the cable lays on my bedroom floor, if it were too thin or flimsy (like my previous 2.0 extension) it would be at a greater risk of being tripped over or being damaged.
on 18 October 2015
An excellent, good value, basic product that does exactly what it needs to do day in day out without blinking
One of the defining reasons I choose the Amazon basics range is that I know I'm not being ripped off & I know I am not going to get tonnes of plastic packaging to throw away after opening the product. It just comes in a small cardboard box with the cable in it - no losing fingers trying open hard plastic packaging!
Well done Amazon for taking the lead on this no-nonsense approach to basic products
on 10 May 2014
Robustly made, and with gold plated connectors, I fail to see what is 'basic' about this item. I think they probably meant basic as in terms of 'essential'.

I wanted it to transfer photos and video to my PC from a USB 3.0 card reader and it works fine. The transfer rates are virtually unaltered when using this cable, and I have tested that by filling and reading a 32GB SD card twice - once via the cable, and the second time with a direct connection into the pc's USB port.
on 28 April 2014
This is a well made cable with good, solid, connectors. The cable has a larger than average diameter (6mm) which, assuming that the conductors are also above average diameter, ought to allow good current flow. I am using this cable on a USB3 port and device and it enables most satisfactory transfer rates. I thoroughly recommend this cable - why pay more when Amazon Basics does the job?