Amazon Echo Spot, Smart Alarm Clock with Alexa - Black
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
- Echo Spot is designed to fit anywhere in your home. Use 2nd generation far-field voice recognition to watch video flash briefings, see music lyrics (UK only), weather forecasts, to-do and shopping lists, browse and listen to Audible audiobooks, and more. All hands-free. Just ask.
- Echo Spot connects to Alexa, a cloud-based voice service to play music, read the news, answer questions, set music alarms, control your smart home, and more.
- Just ask to play a song, artist or genre, and see lyrics (UK only) with Amazon Music. Also, stream music and books from Spotify, TuneIn and Audible.
- Use the built-in speaker or connect to speakers through Bluetooth or a 3.5 mm stereo cable. With multi-room music, you can play music on your Echo devices in different rooms (available for Amazon Music, TuneIn and Spotify. Bluetooth not supported).
- Control your compatible smart home devices. Ask Alexa to turn on your lights, show baby monitors and front door cameras, and lock your doors. Plus, control your thermostats, plugs and more.
- Call or message anyone hands-free who also has an Echo device, the Alexa App or Skype, or make video calls to family and friends with an Echo Spot, Echo Show, the Alexa App or Skype. Quickly connect to other Echo devices around your home.
- With thousands of skills, Alexa is always getting smarter and adding new features. Just ask Alexa to track your fitness goals, order a pizza, get train times and more.
Echo Spot brings you everything you love about Alexa, in an all-new stylish and compact design that can show you things. Just ask to see the weather, get the news with a video flash briefing, set a music alarm (Amazon Music, Spotify & TuneIn supported), see lyrics (available in UK only) with Amazon Music, see your calendar, browse and listen to Audible audiobooks, and more. Personalise your Spot with a collection of clock faces to suit your style or set a photo background from Prime Photos. Plus, make calls to friends and family between supported Echo devices or the Alexa App, or make video calls to anyone with an Echo Spot, Echo Show or the Alexa App.
Echo Spot features second-generation far-field technology with four microphones, beam-forming technology and enhanced noise cancellation, so it can hear you from across the room—even while music is playing. If you have more than one Echo, Alexa responds intelligently from the Echo you're closest to with ESP (Echo Spatial Perception).
Echo Spot is small and compact, and fits easily into any room of your home. The compact size and viewing angle of the screen make Echo Spot ideal for use on a bedside table or desk as a smart alarm clock that can also turn your lights on and off, show your commute time, get the weather or show your calendar. Or use Spot in the kitchen to easily set and see timers, call friends and family, see shopping and to-do lists, and more.
Echo Spot can connect directly to speakers using a 3.5 mm stereo cable or Bluetooth to add voice control to your home stereo system in the living room. Learn more about Bluetooth speakers and devices that work well with Echo Spot. Plus, with multi-room music, play your favourites throughout your home across multiple Echo devices (available for Amazon Music, TuneIn and Spotify, Bluetooth not supported). Learn more
For news and information you can see and hear, just ask Alexa for your video flash briefing from the BBC, The Telegraph, and more. Curious about the latest film trailers or show times? Just ask.
Echo Spot helps keep you organised at home. Start a timer in the kitchen and watch as it counts down, or easily see and manage your family's calendar. Sign in to the Alexa App to take your to-do and shopping lists with you. Just add an item to the list from home, and whoever is out shopping will see it added instantly on their Alexa App.
Echo Spot provides hands-free voice control for your music. Watch as the display comes alive to show song lyrics (in UK only), curated playlists and album art with Amazon Music. Listen to 50 million songs with Amazon Music Unlimited.
Echo Spot also connects to Spotify and TuneIn, giving you voice control for all of your music. Echo Spot is Bluetooth-enabled so you can stream other popular music services such as Apple Music from your phone or tablet.
Use Echo Spot to see a live camera feed from the baby’s room or your front door. Turn on the fan or dim the lights from the couch—all without lifting a finger. Control multiple devices at scheduled times or with a single voice command, like locking the doors and turning off the lights when you go to bed.
Echo Spot works with smart home devices such as cameras, lights, TVs, plugs, thermostats and more. Learn more about compatible smart home-connected devices, including starter kits for easy setup from brands such as Ring, Arlo, Philips Hue, Ikea, TP-Link, WeMo, Hive, Sony and others.
Make hands-free voice calls to anyone who also has an Echo device, the Alexa App or Skype, or video calls to friends and family who have an Echo Spot, Echo Show, the Alexa App or Skype. Plus, now with Skype calling stay in touch with loved ones in over 150 countries - learn more
With the Alexa App, conversations and contacts go where you go. When you're away from home, use the app to make a quick call or send a message to your family's Echo. Alexa calling and messaging is free—to get started, download the latest version of the Alexa App on a smartphone with iOS 9.0 or higher, or Android 5.0 or higher, and verify your mobile number.
Echo Spot can use thousands of skills and counting. Skills add even more capabilities such as ordering a pizza from Domino's, tracking your fitness with Fitbit, controlling your TV with Sony, and more. Create your own personal skills and custom responses with Alexa Skill Blueprints. To enable new skills, just ask Alexa.
New skills are being added all the time. You can also see ratings and reviews to learn what other customers are saying about the thousands of skills available in the Alexa App. Discover and enable skills
Echo Spot is even better with Prime. Order millions of products using only your voice - all voice orders include fast, free shipping, and Alexa can even track your delivery for you.
Prime members can also use their Echo Spot to stream over 2 million songs with Prime Music, view their Prime Photos, and play films and TV shows from Prime Video. Learn more
Alexa is always getting smarter—the more you use Echo Spot, the more Alexa adapts to your speech patterns, vocabulary and personal preferences. And because Spot is always connected, updates are delivered automatically.
Just in the last few months we've added Alexa calling and messaging, multi-room music and reminders, along with skills from third-party developers. Explore more things to try with Alexa.
Simple to Set Up & Use
Use the Alexa App to connect music services you already use such as Spotify. Link your calendar from Gmail, G Suite, iCloud, Outlook.com or Office365. Set up your compatible smart home devices from Philips Hue, TP-Link, WeMo, SmartThings, Ring, Arlo, Nest and more. Control your timers and set reminders, and much more. Alexa App is available for iOS, Android and Fire devices.
Compare Echo devices
|Overview||Echo Dot (3rd Gen), add Alexa to any room||Echo (2nd Gen), smart speaker with Alexa and room-filling sound||Echo Plus (2nd Gen), premium sound and built-in smart home hub with Alexa||Echo Spot (1st Gen), stylish and compact Echo with a screen, great for bedrooms or the office||Echo Show (2nd Gen), premium audio and an HD screen optimised for visibility across the room, great for the kitchen|
|Speaker size||1.6" speaker||2.5" woofer and 0.6 tweeter||3" woofer and 0.8" tweeter||1.4" speaker||Dual 2" drivers with a passive bass radiator|
|Display||2.5" screen||10.1" screen|
|Controls compatible smart home devices|
|Built-in Zigbee smart home hub|
|Dual-speakers powered by Dolby|
|Play video from Amazon Video and more|
|Line out with 3.5 mm cable or Bluetooth||Line in and line out||Bluetooth only|
|Audio calls between Echo devices & Alexa App|
104 mm x 97 mm x 91 mm
The Alexa App is compatible with Fire OS, Android and iOS devices and also accessible via your web browser. Certain skills and services may require subscription or other fees.
Dual-band Wi-Fi supports 802.11 a/b/g/n (2.4 and 5 GHz) networks. Does not support connecting to ad-hoc (or peer-to-peer) Wi-Fi networks.
Advanced Audio Distribution Profile (A2DP) support for audio streaming from your mobile device to Echo Spot or from Echo Spot to your Bluetooth speaker. Audio/Video Remote Control Profile (AVRCP) for voice control of connected mobile devices. Hands-free voice control is not supported for Mac OS X devices. Bluetooth speakers requiring PIN codes are not supported.
Built-in speaker. 3.5 mm stereo audio output for use with external speakers (audio cable not included).
Warranty and Service
Amazon Echo Spot is sold with a limited warranty of one year provided by the manufacturer. If you are a consumer, the limited warranty is in addition to your consumer rights, and does not jeopardise these rights in any way. This means you may still have additional rights at law even after the limited warranty has expired (for further information on your consumer rights, click here. Use of Amazon Echo Spot is subject to the terms found here.
Included in the Box
Echo Spot, power adaptor/cable (1.8 m), and Quick Start Guide.
3,026 customer reviews
Review this product
There was a problem filtering reviews right now. Please try again later.
I have now solved this issue myself and reviewed the product from 1 star to 4 star - to adjust the pre set volume on the "Wake up Alarm" on the device - proceed as follows:-
1) Download the App - "Amazon Alexa" onto a Smart Phone or Tablet
2) Go into settings
3) Tap the small list that appears in the top left corner of the screen
4) Scroll to "Reminders & Alarms" - tap on this
5) Scroll to "Manage Alarm Volume & Default Sound" - tap on this
The adjustments you need now appear on screen - I hope this helps everyone
Quite a number of 'buts' in this iteration though...
A number of reviews mention this and I can confirm it - the voice recognition is definitely inferior to its bigger relatives. It has improved very slightly with length of ownership, but many things flummox it and it isn't keen on you being too far away. By comparison, my full-size Echo understands pretty much everything, pretty much every time, and at substantial distance.
The biggest flaw for my particular use cases though, is the poor Audible integration. As a heavy Apple user, I am used to good sync and hand-off of my content. Amazon has no such capability, and that makes audiobook use very frustrating - I want the Spot to pick up where my Audible app left off, and it simply can't; kinda defeats the object to have to play your audiobook from your phone to the Spot if you want to keep your place! I've got no issue with Amazon keeping, for example, Apple Music out of their ecosystem, but since Audible belongs to them you'd think they could get this bit right...
Couple this with the voice recognition weaknesses - it struggles to understand a book title of more than a couple of words - and the ugly, unsorted method of viewing your Audible library on the Spot screen, and it all adds up to a disappointing experience if, like me, one of the key appeals was voice-controlled audiobook use in bed.
That said, there's a lot to like and I do enjoy using the device as a flashy alarm clock. Hope Amazon sort out the sharing of bookmarks (and improve the voice handling) in the near future.
I purchased the Echo Spot to use on my bedside table as a clock, alarm etc...it certainly looks the part but has a few flaws which make it less than ideal for use in the bedroom :
1) You can only turn off the display via voice command - this is a problem for me as the display on minimum brightness is still too bright for sleeping next to. I often come to bed later than my partner who always seems to forget to turn off the display (its on the other side of the bed!). This means if i want to turn off the display i have to talk to the Echo Spot and risk waking my partner - or do what i end up doing and unplug it ! (not ideal)
2) It often doesn't hear my commands - sometimes my Echo Spot seems to develop deafness. I've talked to other owners who don't seem to have this issue and I think its because behind my Echo Spot there is a clothes rail which i think is absorbing the sound (the microphones are on the back of the unit where as the screen is facing towards you when you have it on a bedside table). It seems to hear better from a distance rather than close up.
So that’s the initial negatives - the reason ive ended up keeping it is : being able to play relaxing rain sounds while you fall asleep and use a sleep timer is really useful.
Which brings me to my final moan - routines.
I had a good idea to help fix some of the issues above : create my own routines which always switched off the display as part of the routine. For example :
- Set volume 3
- Play rain sounds on Spotify
- Set sleep timer for 15 minutes
- Turn off the display
Would have been an ideal sequence to use and could have been set to run with a single word command - however a large portion of the basic commands are missing from routines - including the last two in my sequence above.
Come on Amazon! its not enough to build smart looking gadgets they also need to behave in a way that actually helps you in your daily life (i cant think of a reason why commands you can say you cant enter as a routine ???).
For background I own a Echo Dot, Google mini and Google Home and im generally happy with all of them - but the Spot needs some work.
Amazon : I'm an IT consultant with 25 years’ experience - if you want someone to help test hardware and software improvements to the Echo Spot I'm happy to donate my time to help improve it - it has potential :-)