- Save 10% on Books for Schools offered by Amazon.co.uk when you purchase 10 or more of the same book. Here's how (terms and conditions apply) Enter code SCHOOLS2016 at checkout. Here's how (terms and conditions apply)
Amateur Telescope Making (The Patrick Moore Practical Astronomy Series) Paperback – 4 Oct 2013
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Special Offers and Product Promotions
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
From the reviews
"... Stephen Tonkin (has) added a worthy contribution to the collective wisdom of amateur astronomy ...."
SKY & TELESCOPE
SKY & TELESCOPE
"…Tonkin has assembled a potpourri of excellent do-it-yourself projects, ranging from small refractors and simple rich-field telescopes to large instruments with tilted-component optics and a high-performance, home-built, computer-controlled telescope…will appeal strongly to mid-level amateur astronomers, whether they are equipment buyers or builders. Novices should find much to marvel at, and advanced amateurs will appreciate the useful and timely insights into the current technology of telescopes and sensors…[a] worthy addition to the ever-growing literature of telescopes and telescope making.”
REVIEWS OF ASTRONOMICAL TOOLS
"The book is a nice collection of interesting ideas on telescopes and accessories for the do-it-yourself astronomer.”
"For advice on how to get going, look no further than two excellent books – AMATEUR TELESCOPE MAKING and ASTRONOMICAL EQUIPMENT FOR AMATEURS…Highly recommended.”
From the Author
Fifteen Projects for the modern Amateur Telescope Maker
Despite the title, this multi-contributor book is about a lot more than just making telescopes. The 15 projects, each presented by someone who has actually built it, are in four sections:
# Shoestring Telescopes; three telescopes which can be built for minimum monetary outlay.
# Specialised Telescopes; five telescopes, each of which is optimised for a specific purpose.
# Mounts; a mount for binoculars and mounts which enable photography with dobsonians.
# Astrophotography; camera mounts, a CCD camera, and a drive-motor controller... not intended as a replacement for other modern ATM books, but rather as a supplement. It does not cover optical work and testing, or modern "dobsonian technology", all of which are adequately covered in some excellent current publications listed in the bibliography. _Amateur Telescope Making_ can be used either as an instruction manual for the projects therein or as a source of ideas for your own next project. Although many of the projects will be within the capabilities of a beginner, some, particularly the specialised telescopes, would be better attempted by someone with some ATM experience. END
Top Customer Reviews
I'm very happy with this book and continually refer to it.
Most Recent Customer Reviews
Well received a copy today. Looked at parts that would be of most interest to myself. It is total garbage and not worthy of propping my coffee table up. Read morePublished 19 months ago by Lea
This is more of an inspirational ideas type book, not a step
by step diy guide.
Of interest to the advanced amatuer, details of "how to" can be
found on the web once... Read more
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Star Gazing
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Telescopes & Equipment
- Books > Science & Nature > Chemistry > Laboratory Techniques & Experiments
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Aeronautics & Aerospace
- Books > Science & Nature > Experiments, Instruments & Measurements > Equipment & Techniques
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Popular Science > Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics