on 14 January 2014
It's hard to tell about a second book of a trilogy without spoiling the first one.

ALTERED REALITY starts - not surprisingly - where BECOMING HUMAN has left off. We learn more about the humans, who discovered a secret about the Inidigenes on their planet Exilon 5. We learn more about the ones behind this secret and their sinister plans for colonization of said planet. And we learn more about the Indigenes' side of the story, their lives on their own planet (or better beneath its surface). There are a couple of story lines to follow, each of which having its own set of characters. But that's no problem, because the characters, at least the major ones, are described empathetic and are drawn from life. I especially liked, that my favorite character from the first volume was given more space - but I won't tell who that is.

An important aspect in the book is genetic engineering, and how hybrids are "bred" using this technology, who are able to live on the alternate planet. The most interesting parts for me to read, however, were the methods that are applied by the so-called World Government to control people's lives and deprive them of their personal rights and freedom. I am afraid we are no longer that far away from making this dystopia a reality. Although the story takes place in the year 2163, the described images of monitoring and intimidation strategies can already be seen today, and more so every day. Kudos to the author for mentioning the current events around NSA [hey guys!] and other people of that ilk. The "sentient programs", which control many aspects of human life, even making decisions for them, are already in existence, albeit not that intelligent as described.

All in all, the second Exilon 5 book is a pleasurable reading experience, if you can say that when reading a dystopia. I'm already looking forward to #3.
on 29 April 2014
Book 2 in the Exilon 5 trilogy is a well-crafted, imaginative tale of mind-blowing epicness and inspired originality. The multi-layered sub-plots that entwine to form the incredibly detailed narrative, keep you glued to the pages of such a vastly complex story. Following on from book 1 (Becoming Human), I plunged deeper into a world of Indigenes versus humans in a battle for survival full of heart pounding intensity and danger. Lives hang in the balance, sanity is pushed to the limits and the selfish desires of the few and powerful continue to threaten the existence of the Indigenes in this thrilling instalment! I was kept sat in suspense throughout, clutching the pages as I was sucked into this deliciously dark sweeping storyline of vast premise and scope. `Altered Reality' is a truly remarkable novel and equally as engaging and addictive as book 1...perhaps even more so!

Eliza Green is a accomplished writer whose extraordinary creative flair and concepts continue to astound and intrigue. The eclectic mix of genre and explosive fusion of futuristic fiction, sci-fi and post-apocalyptic/ distopian themes make for an awesome combination. Furiously fast-paced and action-packed, this gripping adventure is wrought with thrilling drama and nail-biting intensity, so magnetic that you cannot help but become entangled within the storyline.

Book 2 was an unputdownable, compelling read that I finished in a single sitting and which has left me eagerly awaiting the 3rd and final instalment within this impressive series.

*I would like to thank the author for providing me with an e-copy of her novel to read and review. *
‘Altered Reality’ written by Eliza Green is the second part of her 'Exilon 5 Trilogy', a well-made dystopia that deals with not so distant, but certainly not excessively bright future of the Earth and its inhabitants.

In first part 'Becoming Human' reader learned about the Earth that is 150 years into the future over-populated and not suitable for life any more. People from Earth will find similar planet suitable for living called Exilon 5, though the planet is not inhabited. Coexistence with new race is certainly not a fairy tale, but people have a clear logic - they are stronger and they must be obeyed, while the natives must submit and adapt.

The main character form first installment, an International Task Force Agent called Bill Taggert was responsible for investigation of this newly encountered race – Indigenes – though beside professional responsibilities Bill has strong private motif for his investigation because of his wife who disappeared and was most probably murdered by the Indigenes.

The other main character Laura who works on security job position at Earth Security Center learned about top secret document due to which she will realize that lot of things were been hided from the people.

After the ending of the first part that prepared reader for the story continuation, we will learn about the Indigene Stephen's fate. Stephen will be forced to leave Earth without Anton who will be captured by the military; therefore Bill will focus on the search for Anton while trying to understand the coded letters from his wife. What Bill will discover will make him change his mind and find a way to warn the Indigenes...

In order to reveal story as little as possible to those who have not read this part, and especially the prequel, it can be said that the author Eliza Green with the second part picks up where the first installment left off, providing same quality and pace. Second book in the trilogy is particularly sensitive because neither begins nor ends whole story, but the author prepared a good setting for the unfolding of her story that luckily we will not have to wait too long.

Though it could be read as a standalone book, I suggest you to first give a try to 'Becoming Human' in order to be properly introduced to background story and the main protagonists. In general, with 'Altered Reality' Green offers equally entertaining read for science fiction fans as was the case with the first part while with anticipation we are awaiting for the story to be completed in the last part of the trilogy.
on 22 January 2014
Brilliant follow on from book 1. Superbly written as usual. Can't wait for book 3. I'm not going to give anything away, all I'll say is, if you like scifi you should read The Exilon 5 Trilogy.
I really like how well written all the genetic biological stuff is, I find it easy to follow too. Keep going Eliza, waiting patiently for number 3 ;)
on 7 February 2014
After enjoying Becoming Human so much, I was worried that book 2 would be unable to sustain the excitement of book 1, but I was wrong. If anything, the unexpected twists and turns are even better than those of Becoming Human. Just when you think you know the direction the story is taking, another element is introduced so that you just have to keep reading, reminding me of Agatha Christie's books! The characters have now been fleshed out much more so that you feel you know them and can empathise with their plight.
I just hope we don't have to wait too long to find out their fate in book 3.
on 29 August 2014
Excellent read keeps you interested from
Beginning to end wanting more . Highly recommended . First one available on watt pad can't wait for the 3 rd book out In October
on 27 October 2015
I'm enjoying this series more and more. The worldbuilding is particularly delightful as it isn't achieved through excessive description or dialogue. The characters are easy to empathize and the plot's premise questions environmental and societal issues in a clever way.
Really, I'm finding myself reading through this series just as eagerly as I read through Hugh Howey's Wool. Though this particular universe is more complex (featuring two races, for example), it is easy to follow and to immerse oneself in.
on 9 May 2014
THis is the first SCI FI book I've read for ages that I found satisfying and hard to put down. I can't wait for book three of the trilogy .
on 3 August 2016
Gripping, funny, tense and tear jerking. Not often do you come across a book that has it all. Absolutely smashing read. The way Eliza Green incorporates a fascinating, in depth analysis & commentary on social & emotional factors is second to none. Her plausible concepts & character development make these books relatable & difficult to put down!
on 11 April 2016
I enjoyed the second book in this trilogy as much as I did the first. I bought all three books so I am moving on quickly to the third. An excellent story with sudden surprises, interesting characters and a joy to read.