on 12 October 2005
Honestly I tried to give this book a chance. I struggled through to the end of this book despite the fact that I kept telling myself to just put it down and never pick it back up again. But unfortunately I did pick it back up and it never got any better. I do not get offended easily, however, as an African-American woman I found parts of this book to be very offensive but, sorry to say, that was not the only downfall of this book. `ALTAR EGO' was not very funny, the characters were totally unlikable (to the point where I almost didn't even care what happened to them next), and the ending was completely unbelievable.
Becky, the main character of this book ditches Julian, her fiancé, at the altar feeling overwhelmed by the idea of commitment, despite this Julian takes Becky back into his life and his home. But at a friends wedding Becky meets an American rap star and begins a long-term affair with him. Throughout this book Becky proceeds to hurt everyone in her life from her lover and fiancé to her best friends and yet Lette expects us to feel sympathy for her when things don't go her way. I am a big fan of British humor but `ALTAR EGO' is not a good example of a `BRIDGET JONES DIARY' style of book. And the portrayal of this Lenny Kravitz type rap star (a combination that is unbelievable enough by itself) was a completely inaccurate representation of American culture. Simply put `ALTAR EGO' was just plain bad, 1 star!!
on 10 August 1999
Having already read Mad Cows, Foetal Attraction and Girls Night Out I didn't expected Altar Ego to be as good, I was very much mistaken. Lette describes things that you believe only you feel. When reading one of her novels you feel as if you are the heroin (or wish you could be in Altar Ego, especially when Zach is in the picture).
Although incredibly funny, Lette describes in her novels the pain and trauma and suffering experienced with relationships, with partners, friends, relatives and children with great empathy and sympathy.
I find her novels a delight to read and difficult to put down.
on 13 January 1999
After having read all her other books and enjoying each one immensely, I was looking forward to this latest edition by Kathy Lette. Unfortunately she spent too much time concentrating on the actual wording of the story than the plot. Even though the book still made me smile in places, the story itself is rather dull and far too fluffy. If "Altar Ego" is aimed at making it a big film with Meg Ryan in Hollywood or if she has just lost her "bite", I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody.
on 7 October 2000
Like most people, I love a good laugh. However, no book has made me guffaw and cry tears of laughter as much as "Altar Ego". I read "Foetal Attraction" after this one but found that nothing could possibly top this novel. I honestly couldn't put it down. I found myself identifying with the characters, especially Becky, laughing, crying and cheering throughout. I have owned a copy of this book for eight months and read it at least once each month. Well done Kathy on a brilliant story.
5 people found this helpful
on 14 May 1999
Any woman who disses this book must have a screw loose as she is obviously not connected to her female self. This has to be one of the best books I have ever read - it is witty, sad, funny, hopelessly sentimental and brilliantly written. The book is full of twists and turns and stirs all kinds of emotions - it's a fairytale love story that I'm sure every girl wishes for.
One person found this helpful
on 30 March 2000
To be honest I was not as impressed as I thought I was going to be with Mad Cows so didn't hold out much hope for this book. I was however surprised, impressed and nearly hysterical from the first page to the last. The main character Becky is funny, shallow, thoughtful, nuts, insecure, sensitive and there is definitely a little bit of all us in her! A fanastic book that is not to be missed for any reason.
on 20 September 1999
The editor should have cut at least a third out as this novel as Kathy Lette's utterly simplistic style gets very wearisome. After all, how many double entendres and four-letter words does it take to get the average reader bored witless?
In addition to this highly contrived style, Kathy Lette has created a very unpleasant lead character entirely without redeeming features - two-faced, two-timing, utterly selfish and imoral - Becky is truly repelant.
Possibly, the only reason I finished this book is because it was one of the most undemanding books I have ever read.
I would suggest that, if you like to read on the beach or in the loo, then this book would be exactly the one.
One person found this helpful
on 17 August 1999
I bought this book to take on holiday and it made me laugh so much all the others on the holiday wanted to read it after me! My mum has just read in on my recommendation and she loved it too. Kathy Lette's talent for characters has become even better since Foetal Attraction and she definitely has 'girl power'. It has inspired me in all sorts of ways.
4 people found this helpful
on 14 May 1999
A truly enjoyable book and one you can't put down. If you enjoyed Bridget Jones, Diary you'll love this. A female prospective on the institution of marriage and the reluctance of a thirty something to take the ultimate committment. Wonderful if your feeling down and need an escape.
on 4 November 1999
Anyone who does not enjoy this book must suffer from a distinct lack of humour. I thoroughly enjoyed it as I have enjoyed all her other books. As I do not read books very often (maybe 2 or 3 a year) it has to be a good book to keep me interested