Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 January 2012
I can't share the enthusiasm of some other reviewers for this album. Yes, it's pleasant, and it grows on you in an understated way. But it's not a classic by a long way.

What it seems to come down to is that, while Buddy is clearly one of the greatest exponents of the electric guitar ever to wield an axe, he plays the acoustic instrument like, well, like an electric guitarist would.

The two instruments are completely different (I know as I've failed to master either of them, arf arf), and Buddy doesn't have the technique of those blues players who have mastered acoustic playing, with its layering possibilities and aural tricks. So, here, you get straight chords and the odd lick, rather than any real acoustic technique.

Of course, I may be completely wrong about all this, but I've played guitar for 30-odd years, so I hope I'm not talking total nuts.

This is an enjoyable album, and they clearly enjoyed making it (which counts for a lot); but ultimately Buddy's lack of technique with the acoustic guitar renders the whole thing a little flat and thin.