on 31 October 2002
I first viewed Allegro non Troppo in film school...it was introduced as an "Italian Fantasia". After viewing it I realized such a comparison didn't give it due credit for its originality: that such sophisticated animation is accompanied by classical music is the beginning and end of the comparison -- and it was unique for its time, intercutting live action with animated sequences.
The subject matter is not the lollipops and roses of Fantasia: some of the animation shorts effectively focus on somber and dreary post-WWII Europe, while some lighter sections of both the animation and live-action are hilariously comic. Therefore I would suggest parental viewing prior to permitting very young children viewing the film in its entirety. Some of the most entertaining live-action features the director dealing with the film's musicians, an orchestra of "vintage" ladies...if you appreciated the cinematography of Roberto Benigni's "Life is Beautiful", you should enjoy Allegro again and again...I have purchased several copies for friends' birthdays, etc. It has been off the market for several years, and this is the first time I have been able to purchase it outside the USA. Happy viewing!
on 1 August 2005
I must have watched this film at least 10 times when I was in university. Fortunately it played often at the local Rep theather. It really does propel you with its magical animations set to some of the greatest classical tracks of all time. And the sheer irreverance and playfulness of the live action 'plot' that ties them together is excellent fun. This film is much more grown up than the (also excellent) Fantasia to which it is so often compared.
on 27 January 2007
I first saw this film on Channel Four many years ago in 1992 and was won over instantly by the brilliant choice of music and style of animation. I can't believe it has never been repeated to my knowledge and along with Rene Laloux's "Time Masters" is one of my favourite feature length animated films. The Ravel's Bolero sequence is breathtaking and still sticks in my mind as one of the best I've ever seen. I have sadly only ever seen the film once and am very keen to get it on DVD so let's hope they reel off on new batch soon.
on 5 February 2014
I first saw Allegro Non Troppo at a foreign film festival in Adelaide Australia, (where we live), in 1979. It continued to run for months. It is easy to understand why. It is quite simply a beautifully made movie. It may have intended to be a parody of Disney's Fantasia, but that is where it stops. The live action segments are very comical, but may be a bit dated now. The animation segments set against the beautiful classical music are as wonder and relevant today as when first made over 40 years ago. The hand painted cells are wonderful and beautiful, making some of todays CGI animation looking sad and crude. From the witty caveman sequence to the tearful cat remembering the ghosts of the abandon house it once lived in. You will shed a tear.
Even if you are not that keen on animation or classical music, or are new to these, this film is the perfect choice, you won't be disappointed. You don't need to speak english or italian to understand it, it crosses all languages.
I have had this on video for 20 years and just got the restored version, (red cover with coke bottle), on DVD. I understand this is the best version, and I believe it is. I love this film.
So, do yourself a favour and add this to your film library.
on 20 October 2010
Why is this delightful little film so difficult to get hold of? For a long time the VHS could only be obtained second hand (which is still the case of course) and there was no DVD. It has now been released on DVD, but the Region 2 version is unobtainable. Scandalous!

If you do finally manage to lay your hands on a copy then look out for the Bolero/dinosaurs parody of the "Rite of Spring" bit in "Fantasia", the "L'Apres-Midi d'un Faune" opening and the anti-fascist piece. When I first saw the film on telly I didn't make a note of what the music was to this bit. It was one of those whistle-along tunes that almost everybody recognises, but nobody knows what it is. On a second viewing I spotted that it was one of the "Slavonic Dances" by Dvorak, so I ran off to buy a CD - and it wasn't on it! He actually wrote two sets of Slavonic Dances. Finally, after some serious searching on i-Tunes, I found it. To save others the trouble it's Opus 46, No. 7, in C-minor.
on 8 December 2010
A direct allusion to Walt Disney's Fantasia is at the heart of this very humorous and enjoyable film, which plays on the idea of an animation film with classical music with very interesting results. A feast for eyes and ears.
on 2 July 2013
This is a great movie, somewhat a parody of Disney's Fantasia. It is a bit more sophisticated and a bit cheeky - it still is full of cartoons on the background of classical music, but there are no brutal mice chasing cats.
on 15 April 2014
A parody of Fantasia whose quality stands on its own merit. I have purchased this film for several other people of all ages along the years. Seller packaged it weel for posting.
on 15 August 2014
One of the best animated movies. Right up there with Disneys' Fantasia (the first one). If you haven't seen it, then buy, borrow or steal a copy.
on 3 March 2013
never thought i would see it again, jumped at the chance to have a copy on dvd, a joy to watch and listen to