on 5 November 2017
I love Grant Morrisons writing in this book
on 29 August 2017
Great service...10 out of 10
on 18 July 2017
great short stories that are all part of the wider volume, and the artwork is beautiful.
on 26 November 2015
Brilliant, simply put.
on 2 March 2017
A must own for any comic or graphic novel fan
on 22 April 2009
As with the first collection of All Star Superman, the artwork in this book can make you stop and stare. True talent has been allowed to flourish and bloom here and it rewards return viewing much more than many modern comic books.

The writing is pretty good too (I jest, it's more than good), but it is the mixture of sweeping grandeur and small, but highly revealing details in the artwork that pull you in and make you care about this character you thought you knew well enough to dismiss as shallow and out-dated.

Most of all these books present Superman as a super man, and that's a neat twist on an old friend.
on 12 September 2013
**Spoiler-free**
I'm a little fussy when it comes to graphic novels. It's not because I think I'm an expert or authority on what's good or bad, it's just that I don't want to waste my hard earned cash on something poorly written or poorly drawn. Let me say that 'All Star Superman' is neither of these and well worth you parting with your money!

I've always been a Batman person myself, but decided to take a punt on reading some Superman stories and seeing if 'The Man of Steel' was worth my time. I've grown up with the films but never really been tempted to see what the Superman character was like in the comics - the gritty, dark world of Gotham has always been the big draw to me! So, I did my research and this story was consistently referred to in the many 'Top Ten Superman' lists.

Let's just say it's a fantastic introduction to Superman. The story, don't worry no major spoilers here, is based around Lex Luthor tricking Superman into saving the lives of some astronauts and in the process exposing himself to high levels of solar radiation. Now Superman is more powerful than ever but the cost is he is dying! He decides to 'put his house in order' and complete a set of 'bucket-list' tasks before the end.

Let's just say the story is unique and I really found it hard to put down, though I did hold off reading the last part for a whole day because I didn't want it to end. The artwork is fantastic - something I think is as important as plot. The dynamic between Lex and Superman was really interesting and there were moments that really touched me, sounds cheesy but one scene with Superman visiting a hospital was quite moving - this from a man who's favourite graphic novel is The Dark Knight Returns!

So, in a nutshell a fantastic read for all the right reasons, and a novel that has got me interested in looking for more top quality Superman stories. Handled the right way, Superman can be a character well worth investing in!
on 7 September 2017
I never liked Superman as a concept. He's overpowered, defies all logic and is coloured like an American flag.

Then I read All Star Superman.

I won't spoil it. Trust that when the best comic book writer and the best comic book artist come together to tell a story about the first American superhero it turns out great.

A landmark story and new standard for superhero storytelling.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 19 May 2011
I had read great things about this series and when I saw that it had been put into a trade paper back I had to get it. What a joy.

This is the Superman I remember. Foes like Lex Luther (who was never going to be President of the USA) as he has been and friends (foes) like Atlas and samson. Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen and Perry White. Great Caesars Ghost, what a collection.

These stories are what I like, no real need to have read earlier comics and easy to understand tales with positive endings. Such a joy to read and great artwork. Guess who is going to buy the other volumes!!!
on 4 October 2007
Grant Morrison is a well respected comics author , whilst Frank Quitely is a much admired comicbook artist . Together they have been putting together this beautiful series in single issues , collected here are the first six of those .

The art and colouring are a wonder to behold , and Grant's script shows that there's still some life in Supes , and that we haven't read all there is to read about him . There is some humour as well as pathos , and each chapter is a complete storyline .

If there is one criticism to be levelled at the series , it's the disjointed nature of this collected edition , due to the stand alone stories .