on 20 September 2011
I don't write too many reviews, but after seeing that the only reader review was a 'one star' i thought it best to actually review the product and its content - something the previous reviewer hadn't done. Amazon's product blurb was quite clear that this collection was an omnibus of two previous collections. The few new articles added are a bonus. Lots of readers buy items based on readers 'star' ratings - giving this book a 'one star' rating is misleading if the reviewer's only gripe was with the fact that he/she had read much of the material before.
Now, to the actual item: written in The Dowager Duchess' inimitable style, it is upper-class chatty and always entertaining. If you like lively, witty prose with lots of social history and incisive observations then you will love this. I certainly did.
on 26 November 2011
from receiving this book by deborah devonshirei must admit i am not one for reading this type of book,but i had heard what a very interesting book it was,and i have so far found this to be so i have only read a few pages and i find that once you pick this book up it is very hard to put down and when you put it down you are allready thinking what is in the next chapter.marvellous book very well written ,quite a few oh i did not realise that in this book
on 26 October 2011
Deborah Devonshire has had a long and interesting life, and this is a highly enjoyable collection of articles on the many diverse subjects that interest her. There is a lot about country life of course, about animals and country people and about her beloved Chatsworth. there are articles about people she has known and places she has visited, and fascinating accounts of the inauguration of President Kennedy, and of his funeral.

There are lots of passages I could quote from this entertaining volume, but my two favourites are about books. Of her own feeling about books she writes:

'I have read very few books and I have minded finishing them so much that I have often vowed not to start another. Coming to the end of some gripping story or reaching the inevitable death of the subject of a biography is like losing a friend whom you have begun to depend upon night and day in a secret liaison with the author. It is no good saying you can read it again. It is never the same the second time.'

That is quite unlike how I feel about books myself, I can read favourite books again and again and enjoy them more than I did the first time, but it is interesting to see such a different point of view. The other quote is about her father's taste in literature:

'My father's attitude to reading was most sensible. He only ever read one book and that was White Fang. He loved it so much he never read another because nothing could ever be as good. 'Dangerous good book', he used to say 'no point in trying any more.'

That surely must be the greatest compliment any book has ever been paid.
on 10 December 2011
What a wonderful book written by a wonderful lady bought it for a present and had it returned after reading so that I could enjoy it as well.
on 5 April 2015
Lovely collection of thoughts, history, anecdotes and a gentle but humorous wit in the retelling of these . I read this just before the grand lady Dowager Duchess died and so glad she left this with us to enjoy. We won't see the like of this generation again.
on 24 November 2011
BEWARE! Intrepid Deborah Devonshire readers - I fell straight into this nicely packaged little trap. This is, in fact NOT a new publication but two previously published books under one, new cover. The cost of return postage has taught me to read any book information with greater care!
on 24 December 2012
I thoroughly enjoyed this book - well written in an easy style. A book that can be picked up and put down at will.
on 1 February 2014
Again, not my kind of reading but a present that was received with great delight. What more can I say?
on 13 October 2014
Excellent a lovely lady see my other review
on 17 September 2011
Beware those of you buying this book if you already own 'Counting My Chickens' and 'Home to Roost'. 'All in One Basket' combines both of those titles plus some 'New additions'. Rip off or what!!!