Customer reviews

on 5 July 2015
Frankly, in short this book is excellent. She writes in such a measured but at the same time humorous style that one forgets that a lot of dry research has gone into producing the ideas and developing the argument. Will need to do more background reading to fully understand the issues raised but overall this is an impressive book.
on 15 March 2014
There are so many books about how we should do what we do when it comes to our children. This book was a refreshing change. I've always felt that the best way to show a child how to live right is to treat yourself the way you want them to treat themselves. Would i want my child to endure a miserable marriage "for the sake of the children"? Would I want my child to sacrifice everything for another? Nope. This book takes some pressure off of the mother by exploring their meaning beyond just life support for the new arrivals.

I am nearing the end of raising a child. The toddler frustrations and crying and mayhem are all forgotten and I am left now with fond memories of the angel that this scowling, teenage stranger used to be. Although teenage years are covered in the book, this is more suited for someone right in the throes of wondering why they destroyed their figure for this beast who won't stop screaming no matter how much money we spend on them.

There is very little advice in this text, but a lot of insight and knowledge. This book is very well written; the relationships with children and the spouse interwoven in a flowing pattern that made it a real pleasure to read.
on 16 February 2017
It's rare to find a book that truly speaks to the real, honest parenting experience- and sympathises with how hard it is, without blame or judgment but actual useful tips. Can't recommend this book enough
on 16 May 2014
Really good read. Interesting, thoughtful and lots to get you thinking. And it's balanced, well written and clever. Defo recommend.
on 9 May 2014
I'm going to buy this book for every one of my friends who is dithering over having a baby. It is an incredibly balanced perspective on what motherhood is like: so wonderful and yet so monotonous. I would write more, but I have my youngest feeding in my arms!
on 28 March 2015