Format: Hardcover|Change

on 4 October 2013
Indeed many of the greatest lines in Hollywood films through the ages. Also much information.about those films and their makers, with especial reference to the writers. As a consequence I have now purchased Goldman's autobiography of his time in Hollywood "Adventures in the screen trade". Without the writers the films would be nothing. This book.does their work credit.
on 17 January 2014
So said the guy I bought this for. It was a secret Santa present and he loved it so much he demanded to know who the Santa was! He regularly references it, always recites lines from it and constantly thanks me for it. I'm beginning to think I should have kept if for myself and bought him something cheesy instead.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 6 January 2014
Two more great quotes among so many: when Robert Mitchum was asked what he looked for in a script, he replied: "Days off".

And this, from Get Shorty: 'I once asked this literary agent what kind of writing paid the best. He said, "Ransom notes".'

Thank you, George Tiffin! You have put together a brilliant book that has provided me with hours of pleasure. At first I thought this was just going to be something one would dip in and out of but, in fact, the book repays reading from cover to cover. It is an absolute delight.

Of course, no collection of quotes could possibly satisfy everyone; we would each have to collect our own favourites to achieve that. But who amongst us would be capable of writing such succinct introductions to ensure that each quote is clearly contextualised? This is way harder than it looks and George Tiffin does it to perfection! He also intersperses the text with striking quotes from the film-makers and scriptwriters themselves, as well as treating us to some wonderfully illuminating short essays on the madness that is the movie industry.

With well-considered typography and stunning images beautifully reproduced on high quality paper, this book is far more than just a collection of great film quotes. It's a real treasure. Don't be tempted to go for the cheaper download, treat yourself to the real thing.
on 4 December 2013
I've spent a lot of time picking over this fantastic book, and have been pleased to discover that it contains not only a fabulous mixture of quotes but also fascinating industry anecdotes (for instance, a popular 'child friendly' dub of 'yippee-ki-ya mother-f*cke' in Die Hard was 'yippe-ki-ya melon farmer'!) and gorgeous glossy pictures. I'm someone who LOVES a good movie quote so was pleased to discover many of my old favourites - Top Gun, Monty Python - had a spot. I originally thought it would make a great present but now covet it for myself!
on 17 February 2014
This book can be read alone and together at a dinner party, quoting texts and guessing the film. We had great laughs doing that. Also, it is quite complete, if you don't count European film. Nice illustrations and good lay out, what you call a must have, particularly if you love film.
on 11 January 2014
Good book this, you can read it three ways, as a book from cover to cover, as reference book or as I do just pick it up and read a small section at a time. For film buffs a very useful book, for everyone else geat fun.
on 21 October 2013
All the Best Lines is an exquisitely produced compendium of classic film quotes and pithy anecdotes about showbiz. Many of the quotes are familiar, some are more obscure, but all are just as marvellous to read as they are to view on the big screen. Really though, All the Best Lines is far more than a collection of highly quotable one-liners and set-pieces, it's really a history of film-making told through segments of famous (and occasionally infamous) dialogue as well as essays highlighting many intriguing aspects of film history and an excellent selection of beautiful photographs.
on 5 November 2013
Arrived promptly, given as a gift but I had a good look through it first-didn't want to part with it. Brilliant for film buffs, lots of facts & information, well laid out, academic & fascinating. My friend was very happy with it & I know he's referred to this book many times since I kindly gave it to him.
on 28 April 2014
I like the way the book is laid out in general, but the typeface is not the easiest to read. Collecting quotes into subject headings, this book provides a great selection of clever, witty and important quoted from the movies. A good coffee table book, rather than one that's meant to be read from cover to cover.
on 25 July 2014
This book is extrememly well researched and produced. It is not just about film quotes but includes many entertaining anecdotes and trivia. I'm one of those dull aging film buffs who can't get enough about stuff like this, but rest assured this will sit on a low shelf in most people's book collection. Hats off to George Tiffin!