Customer reviews

Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 26 May 2017
This is contemporary sci-fi written by an actual scientist, meaning there are some sciency bits for those of us who like that; what I personally enjoyed most, however, was getting to know each of the major (and some minor) characters. Some of the dialogue is genuinely funny, without detracting from the seriousness of the plot or the characters' personalities, and the story unfolds at a nice pace. It ends particularly strongly--I'm about to purchase the next in the series right now--and I highly recommend "Alicia" to anyone who enjoys fantasy and sci-fi generally, or superheroes specifically.
on 8 November 2015
A thrilling and exciting read that has everything from the wide spectrum of human relationships to the deepest fears of the human pshyce - sci fi in genre with a large bucket load of blood soaked horror, everyone will love this book weather you like sci fi or not!
Very cleverly written and some great twists and turns that will keep the most avid sci fi/horror fan guessing!
Fantastic to see a novel in this genre with so many strong female charactures that are both believable and loveable in equal measure! Some very funny moments too that I'm sure a lot of hardcore sci f fans will love too!
Spectacular ending that will leave you wanting more! Cannot wait for book two ... ! :)
on 22 April 2014
Not my usual genre/s of reading material but the story drew me in until I couldn't put it down. Had enough twists for even the most jaded and the sub plots intersected alot more deftly than I would have expected from a first novel. Will definitely appeal to those from graphic novel or gaming worlds but don't be put off if those aren't your things, it's a gripping ride and at such a good price. Still thinking about it all days after finishing and wondering about a sequel.
on 21 September 2015
First off I normal don’t read Science Fiction or Superhero novels.
I do enjoy the odd one, the special one where the story intrigues me. ‘Alicia’ is definitely one of those.
I started off with the kindle version but I am a firm believer in hard copies. Actually turning the pages and not having to worry about battery life. So this review is for the hard copy which of course does not make a difference to the story. The quality of the copy is great and did not crease at the spine during the read.
All of that out of the way what about the story?
‘Alicia’ tells the tale of the protagonist Alicia and her search for the truth about her past but it becomes quickly more complicated than that. The characters find themselves involved in more than originally bargained for. I will leave it brief and simple so no spoilers.
I greatly enjoyed for once having a story where the main characters are female and are intelligent. There are of course male characters but they do not dominate the story at all. Instead the protagonists carry the plot and require little male support.
Throughout I went from liking Alicia as a character to disliking her. Which is the best combination for an anti-hero and definitely more enjoyable to read than your regular good girl. In support there are Violet (Demonatrix) and Bethany (Euphony), both complete opposites but complementing each other incredibly well and make excellent characters. (Also I was very jealous of Violets powers throughout.)
Overall characters which make the story what it is and guarantee no moment of boredom!
What makes the story so intriguing is the way the author introduces deeper themes than is immediately obvious, suggesting and hinting constantly there is more. (Again no spoilers!)
Clearly a lot of thought and imagination went into ‘Alicia’ than just writing a superhero story and that is what got me as a reader. The author knows his characters, knows how they would react to a situation and how they would live their lives which makes them and the story captivating and believable.
So I cannot just praise how greatly I enjoyed the story a little bit of critique has to be. Considering this is a self-published work it is fantastic but therefore it could also greatly benefit from some proper editing. (Somebody should get onto that!)
At times the writing style was hard to read, over the top descriptions which often only helped to confuse and divert of from the story.
Overall however a great début from a young author who managed to get me to enjoy my read away from my usual genres. Do not give this one a miss and I will keep my eyes open for more!
on 26 May 2014
I began this book with doubts of how I would enjoy it due to my preference in genre. I quickly found myself reading just one more page, one note chapter and then it was finished. Honestly riveting and worth the time and money. I am eagerly awaiting the next in the series. Characters are all defined and well thought out, found myself relating to them, feeling their excitement, panic, and desperation then success. Truly an up and coming author, hurry up with the series I need more.
on 4 June 2014
I read this book based on a recommendation and wasn't too sure what to expect. Its not the sort of book I would usually read but within the first chapter I was entirely hooked! The characters make you want to get to know them, and I really felt that I did.
Whilst the story is quite complicated in places, it feels very much as though you are walking through it with friends.
Very few books elicit a physical response from me when reading but this literally gets the pulse quickening. I really didn't want to get to the end of this book and cannot wait for a sequel.
on 2 July 2014
A very interesting take on a mixture of genres, and quite unlike anything I've read before. The action is fast paced and vivid, the characters well crafted and intriguing, and whilst the plot keeps you guessing, it never frustrates.
on 6 June 2016
A fantastic well written book. I've never read anything quite like it and I'm really looking forward to the next instalment - soon please!