Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£4.99

on 30 March 2015
Another excellent piece of work from Peter James. I've read a lot of his latter work and am now going back to earlier pieces. I honestly couldn't wait to get back to my kindle to read more, the main characters are equally likeable and hated (dependant on their good vs evil stance). It did keep me guessing until the end which character was the most Evil - was it too obvious? Could it be a bluff or a double bluff?? Oh! the suspense.....and I was not disappointed. It was also a reminder of the early internet days, of the chore of going to a company to purchase email addresses and of the times when mobile phones were scarcely owned. Simply put - I loved it!! Thank you.
on 28 March 2017
only just started to read this novel, a bit slow getting into it. I've been spoilt by the excellence of this author's Roy Grace detective series.
on 20 June 2010
Alchemist is the story of a huge drugs company that has devious plans in hand to make the world dependent on their medicines over the next generation. The story moves between a young boy who becomes a Satanist and a couple of employees of the drugs company, Conor, a patent lawyer and Monty, the daughter of a Nobel-prize winning scientist now taken on and sponsored by the drugs company because of his work on genetic theory. This would have been an excellent thriller without the Satanist element and the supernatural, for me this was a step too far.
33 Comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 January 2001
I bought Alchemist on holiday in 1996, and could not put it down for a second. I have just had to buy another copy as the original one eventually fell to pieces. What can I say, breathtaking writing, a superb plot. Well done Mr James, I'm impressed.
on 5 April 2001
I read a lot of books and usually review them. This is the first book I have given 5 stars to this year. Being my first Peter James novel I initially chose to read this based on the other reviews on Amazon. How right they were. A real page turner. This will certainly not be my last book by this author and I would suggest you order this book IMMEDIATELY !.
on 14 April 2007
I read this book after reading and immensely enjoying Dead Simple. This author is the best ever! Alchemist is very readable and very "unputdownable" and somewhat thought provoking. I don't normally like horror books, but this had just the right amount of everything going on. A little bit gruesome in places but not, in my opinion, over the top. You have to read this book and you will know what I mean! You also must read Looking Good Dead. Can't wait to get another Peter James novel.
on 3 October 2002
I started reading this book on a flight from Bangkok to London and was dreading the 17hr flight, but this book took me away to another world. It's suspenseful and creative in so many ways. Monty Bannerman is a real character and draws you into a world of greed, cover-up's and bloodshed.
Truly outstanding!!! This man Peter James is the dog's nuts and I wait impatiently for his next release. Bring it on Pete, let's see if you can make my mind spin again???
on 11 August 1999
I thought this book was brilliant. Once I had started reading I could not put it down. The book is based on a bizzare but believable plot which keeps you guessing right until the end. I really enjoyed this book and would reccomend it to other Peter James fans.
on 1 April 2014
This is the worst book i have ever read. I checked the reviews before i decided to purchase this book and i cannot believe the praise that was given for this story. Unbelievably stupid main characters and ridicolous plot. I managed to finish the book without skipping any pages but it was really hard work. If you download the sample you might think it does not seem too bad but trust me, it quickly goes downhill. I would not recommend this book to anyone.
on 23 November 1998
James grab your interest from the first page of the book. The plot chills you to the bone, the characters are both credible and interesting, and having worked in a pharmaceutical company I can say that the Mr. James must have done a great deal of research to document himself so well.
James has developed in this and other thrillers a horror/techno-thriller stile that is second to none. A must read if you are into that genre.