Al-Kind=i (Great Medieval Thinkers) Paperback – 22 Dec 2006
- Choose from over 13,000 locations across the UK
- Prime members get unlimited deliveries at no additional cost
- Find your preferred location and add it to your address book
- Dispatch to this address when you check out
Frequently Bought Together
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Al-Kindi is a singularly important figure in the history of Western philosophy. Largely responsible for the revival of Greek philosophy, this time in Arabic translation, he inaugurates the grand tradition of medieval philosophy just like Descartes does the modern. Adamson's book is the first monograph on the entire philosophical thought of al-Kind? and it is done expertly, paying full attention not only to the historical context of al-Kindi ideas but also to their philosophical cohesion and sophistication. Adamson has a very light and engaging style in his expository writing which makes his explanation of philosophical arguments easy to follow and exciting. A book that is as enjoyable for the undergraduate as it is reliable for the professional, it places al-Kindi and all of Arabic philosophy squarely within the history of Western philosophy. (Dimitri Gutas, Professor of Arabic and Graeco-Arabic studies, Yale University)
About the Author
Peter Adamson is a Reader in Philosophy at King's College in London. He is the author of The Arabic Plotinus: A Philosophical Study of the Theology of Aristotle and with Richard C. Taylor a co-editor of The Cambridge Companion to Arabic Philosophy.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > Historical > 1501-1700
- Books > Biography > Medical, Legal & Social Sciences > Philosophy
- Books > Biography > Religious
- Books > History > Religious History > Islam
- Books > History > World History > 1501-1750
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Christianity > Theology > Philosophy
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Islam
- Books > Religion & Spirituality > Religious Studies > Philosophy
- Books > Society, Politics & Philosophy > Philosophy > Non-Western