on 26 February 2015
Having just discovered Akira Kurosawa as a director and Toshiro Mifune as an actor, ( having watched Yojimbo for the first time several months ago), I was bowled over to say the least, I then ordered this DVD, as people more in the know than I am , recommended the seven samurai ,A.K directs in proper time and doesn't rush things, which makes it more true to life than nowadays, he must have been good, or else, his idea wouldn't have been pinched to make" The Magnificent Seven" or " Yojimbo" to make " A Fistful of Dollars" and I just love Toshiro Mifune, What an incredible actor, fabulous!! As for people saying some of the dvd's are poor quality, mine were fine, ,although, I wonder if its because I've got an ancient T,V (10 years old) a big old square one, where you can adjust the size, would it make a difference?
Anyway, I ordered this, rec'd it earlier than expected , which was great
on 4 December 2017
Five star films, of course. The blu-ray transfers here are very good, however I did purchase the Criterion Region A blu-rays of Seven Samurai and Yojimbo because their transfers were better (not a gimme, BFI's blu ray transfer of Rashomon is superior to Criterion's equivalent).

However if you don't have a multi-region player, you will certainly not be disappointed with this package. Thank you, Mr Kurosawa :)
on 22 February 2018
Excellent value on the set - I paid around 22 pounds for it here. The films are obviously great, though the transfers used on the discs seem to be something of a mixed bag. The Seven Samurai seemed more like an upscaled older scan, and Throne of Blood didn't seem much better. I've been advised that the quality improves the further into the set you get, but probably worth noting the inferior prints here. I'll update the review when I've finished watching all the discs.
on 29 October 2013
Akira Kurosawa has inspired many film directors, and countless films. The Samurai Collection embodies the style and sophistication of Akira Kurosawa. It is a perfect tribute to this master director, and the films evoke the energy, discipline and ethics of the samurai way of life, told with great storytelling and drama.
I recommend this collection to anyone who loves oriental cinema, with a gritty serious edge. The black and white format and moody landscapes, add further value. Superb.
on 27 June 2014
Due to my own impatience I unfortunately purchased this DVD set after waiting, in hope, for them to finally release them on Blu-Ray format. I did thoroughly enjoy my viewings of these utterly fantastic Samurai movies however. Alas, BFI have now recently announced this same set but now in BLU-RAY format. It has a current release date of September 22nd 2014.

I can't provide outside links here but if you go onto blu-ray. com you will be able to find info about it somewhere on the news section and/or product listings area. *Edit* I've provided the link in the comments section below.

So fans of Blu-Ray will want to hold off from buying this DVD set. I for one will certainly be purchasing them again. It's unfortunate that I wasn't patient for a little while longer though.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 February 2018
another classic by the master
on 9 March 2018
Very good.
on 4 March 2018
Akira Kurosawa The Samurai Collection are a joy to watch a shame they are not in full col'our.But Mifune makes the films worth owning and watching.
on 18 March 2018
Bought for my son's birthday. He loves this
on 16 April 2014
Kurosawa is a great director and this collection contains a nice variety of his old style samurai movies. I keep watching the movies as they are so beautifully made.