Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 April 2013
In the process of replacing albums that have either walked out of my house on their own or not returned when lent out, or when they were returned they weren't in the best of condition. Been buying second hand albums and so far I've been really pleased with what I've bought. No complaints. Wouldn't have replaced them if I had to pay full price so I'm very happy that Amazon has given me the opportunity to do this.
on 7 June 2010
I did expect too much from this album. Way too much. I listened and I listened and couldn't quite work out whether it was a work of genius or just a load of bull. But soon after loading it onto my ipod to while away the hot evenings and night this summer I fell in love. The album itself has three aspects of a KOL album that, I think, needs ..

Firstly the classic tracks - 'King of The Rodeo', 'Taper Jean Girl' and 'The Bucket'.

Secondly the constants in all their albums old and new - Caleb Followill's '30-a-day' rasping southern drawl, the distorted guitar licks of Nathan Followill and the heartbreaking and sexually tainted lyrics.

Thirdly a new direction. I have found that within the 4 albums that they have produced there is a different inspiration - "Only By Night" was for the stadiums and the success of KOL in the music markets and "Because of the Times" was mainly 'going back to the roots' and success in England (I recommend both!)

They are a relatively new band and are still exploring their field within this album.

This album has it all! But I warn you .. this does need breaking in and playing through and through. All in all a beautifully crafted album .. do I expect any less from Kings of Leon?

Certainly not!

was a gift
on 5 July 2017
decent album
on 22 April 2017
The cd was great and still is, quick delivery
on 24 October 2016
I received Youth and Young Manhood (Kings of Leon's first album) in the Aha shake case..
Please send me Aha shake.. in the Youth and Young manhood case, as i was going to buy both anyway. I will pay the cost again.
on 2 June 2017
I ordered 4 KOL CDs because they were advertised with autorip. But only 1 was downloaded to my music account.
on 16 October 2005
Kings of Leon may claim a preposterous history and have a reputation of being party-hard immature youths, but their music speaks depths of their true genius. Their second album, "A-Ha Shake Heartbreak", is both a clear improvement on their already incredibly good first offering ("Youth and Young Manhood")and proof of a real understanding of what rock is really about.
And not only do Kings of Leon know the meaning of rock, but also know how to help it evolve. Just listen to the first track on the album, 'Slow Night, So Long', which although has less immediate impact than the opener on "YAYM", brings their original sound to new levels. No one could have expected the jazzy, sombre feel of the ending section. I was amazed, and loved them more with every passing chord.
The third track, 'Taper Jean Girl', as well as being my personal favourite, proves that Kings of Leon know exactly what direction they are headed. It is confident, rhythmic and has, in my opinion anyway, one of the greatest riffs in any rock song in the past decade. A stunning song.
'The Bucket' is another obvious strongpoint, but unexpectedly (if not for the yodelling)'Day Old Blues'is quite enjoyable, and 'Pistol of Fire' and 'King of the Rodeo' also live up to this standard. There are no fillers. No weak songs. Kings of Leon are determined to make an impression on the world of rock, and who knows, with this album, they might even change it.
on 22 May 2007
After the impact of their brilliant debut album, the Kings' follow-up album was eagerly anticipated. And they delivered BIG time!

Aha Shake Heartbreak (though an odd name for an album) simply solidifies the thoughts among many (myself included) that the KOL are the best rock band to have come out of America for a long, long time.

It is chock-full of lively, driving numbers, awash with Caleb's Southern, twangy drawl, Nathan's snappy and precise drumming (check out "Velvet Snow") and Matthew and Jared's solid bass-lines and catchy riffing.

Top tracks include "Slow Night, So Long", "The Bucket", "Velvet Snow" and "Taper Jean Girl". "Milk" is a bit of an odd song as it's hard to understand what the opening lyrics are about, but it does build up well and is a good contrast to the others. And if there is a low-point, I would say it was "Day Old Blues", which just seems out of place. The pace of the album overall matches "Youth and Young Manhood" but my one criticism is that a lot of the songs are just too short and seem to be a bit rushed through.

Is it better than their debut? Personally I don't think so. (It certainly doesn't "[...] all over Youth and Young Manhood" like NME claimed it would). But it is a brilliant album, cementing the Kings' status as one of the top bands in the world today.