Format: Paperback|Change

on 5 December 2006
Scrum is a simple emperical process of project management. There are few rules and these are adequately explained in a few pages and within the appendix of this book. So what, you might ask, is the rest of the book taken up with.

Well there's lots of case studies to demonstrate the practical use of Scrum in different scenarios. I must admit to having found these case studies a little uninteresting at times and a bit repetitive, however by the end of the book I feel I probably appreciated their purpose more than I did whilst reading them.

In terms of whether the book is worth owning, I found it well enough written and in general quite useful, however I do feel the meat of the subject can be summed up in far fewer pages and I'm split between the feeling that fewer case studies would have been adequate and that some were just "fillers" to pad out the book and the fact that, maybe, you can never have too many examples.
on 26 April 2010
From a Project/Programme Managers perspective, this is excellent introductory material for those who haven't used Scrum formally. The book introduces the reader to each of the Scrum concepts and also attempts to portray them in a real-world scenario. For those planning to undertake the certification course this would be a very good primer along with Agile Estimating and Planning (Robert C. Martin) by Mike Cohn.
on 13 October 2008
Scrum is easy to understand and hard to implement. You can read about the roles, artefacts and ceremonies on many websites however this isn't enough. You learn best by doing it and in this book Ken is giving us his experience so we don't make the same mistakes. Of course there are many more truths to be learnt but this book gives you an excellent start. A must have for anyone starting with Scrum!
on 21 December 2010
Chapters of war-stories illustrating the challenges and possible solutions to developing software.

This book conveys a confusion commonly held about project management and managing software development: where this book says project management it means managing the software development. A project manager will be managing the scope, schedule, resource, costs, benefits and risks for the project sponsor and project board. The project management will contract with the development team to deliver products. The development team may use Agile and Scrum.
on 23 April 2016
Back when this was written in 2004, I can see why it was considered a benchmark. Some twelve years later, it feels dated, too rigid, and too prescriptive. It still appears on the booklists for Scrum / Agile certification (which was why I bought it), but either the book, or the booklists, sorely need an update
What was interesting was Ken's own admissions of times something failed : those lessons remain relevent and are still valuable cautionary tales.
on 24 February 2013
If you are new SCRUM, that is invaluable book. Contains definitions, comparision with existing management methodologies, a how to apply SCRUM in different companies. If know the SCRUM still you can learn a lot from use cases! There is second part of it The Enterprise and Scrum
on 1 July 2011
As most software development teams I come across are moving to a form of Agile, and increasingly Scrum, I recommend this book as a great kick-off point, and though it is a few years old, it is still relevant and very useful. It is Case Study focused, an approach that helps demonstrate Scrum in action, and provides a very practical guide, allowing the reader to take advantage of the author's years of experience. There is so much more to Scrum, but this book is an excellent starting point, and a must-have for any Software Developer's shelf.
on 31 December 2009
I write this review because I just read the previous comment and could not disagree more.

First, the book

It was handed over to me by my new project leader about two years ago as he wanted to use that method and make sure everyone in the team understood what and why.
I really enjoyed the book because it makes the whole idea very clear in the first few chapters and is very accessible.
You don't really need to read the later chapters if all you want is a broad understanding.
I think this book got me to understand what we did and why.
I am not too sure whether it would have allowed me to start using the methodolgy without the mentoring of someone else but I did have a mentor.

I am now embarking into a new project and plan to do exactly the same. I'll recommend the book and be the mentor.

Second, the methodology

I have only developped for 25 years (!) and was extremely impressed by the whole scrum experience.
Like the author, I was far less impressed with old fashioned "Waterfall" approaches and have seen so many fail miserably (most would be more precise).
Having a brilliant mentor probably helped. Maybe this is what was missing to the previous reviewer...
on 2 November 2014
I found this book to be very lightweight and I felt when I finished reading it that it had little substance. While the writing style is very accessible - you can read this in one sessions, Mr Schwaber splits infinitives religiously which I found irritating towards the end.
on 28 September 2011
If you like books that are short and to the point, avoid this one! I didn't like the wordy format and excessive case studies. If you have time to plough through it there is some worthy advice and learning points, but it could have been half the length. I'd recommend this to someone who wants something to read on the train, but if time is at a premium - read something that gets to the point quicker.