Against All Enemies
Format: Hardcover|Change

on 13 February 2017
I have given Tom Clancy a wide birth in recent years mainly due to the never ending twists and turns which in most books are utterly breathtaking, and leave you wanting more.
Since Tom Clancy books have a co-writer I have sadly fallen out of love with them. They are complicated, spend to long eeking out the story line, introducing so many characters your head feels like it is going to explode, with Who was he again? What did he do? Where did he pop up from? When you don't hear from them in a couple of chapters and then they come back it is quite complicated.
I love the fact that we use authentic names, but sometimes with surnames only it leaves you slightly confused, and with this book, I sometimes found myself wondering who was on the bad or the good side.
I did persevere and I am glad I did, but I do feel I missed out on some of it.
on 2 August 2014
This is evidently not written by Tom Clancy. The lack of detail is what hits me the most.
Story: The story is ok. It is not Clear and present danger and Sum of all fears standard at all. It is very basic and easy to read. I was not very intrigued by Max Moore at all. He seems very bland to say the least.

Detail: This book suffers greatly in detail. I can tell that Clancy gave the story line to Peter Telep, and he had to find out the information himself. If you are looking for any insider detail, look elsewhere. This book is by no means as detailed as Executive Orders or The Bear and the Dragon.

Characters: Max Moore is your typical ex-Navy seal. I thought it unnecessary to have another Navy seal. John Clark is the only REAL ex-navy seal that Clancy should have. The other characters were dismissed quickly, for they were 1 dimensional.

All in all, this book I thought was not necessary. It has an easy to read plot, and I finished it in 6 days on holiday. As a 15 year old, even I could see the lack of detail and that this was not Clancy at all.
on 4 July 2012
Firstly I was hovering between 3 and 4 star rating. Possibly should have gone 4 on 2nd thoughts
Mr TC has included at least 2 books worth of material in this.
Early on there is too much of a multifaceted narrative for me . I think the early episodes lose their power for being so short. He has well written characters who would involve more if allowed to inhabit your imagination for more than a chapter at a time. . Its just a personal preference but the well written and legitimate issues for each character require more than the attention span of a may fly.
That being said he has tried to tridimensionalise !?! (sorry) some of the characters and has written an involving thriller the likes of which Mr Patterson can only dream on. Mind you I did find the main guy worthy of a slap once or twice.
Enough said
on 1 November 2017
I have tried to give this no stars but cannot do so. I am a lifelong To Clancy fan, but this is not him. I originally bought this book as a holiday read and for the first time ever I left the book behind, only partly read.
I recently thought that I would try it again and bought the Kindle edition. Unfortunately, despite an extreme attempt to stick with it, I soon had to give up. The writing, although reasonable is so remote from Tom Clancy as to be unrecogonisable. If you are a Clancy fan, leave this alone!
on 11 July 2012
saw a lot of negative reviews here which seem to be from die hard clancy fans who recognised that perhaps the co-author was over involved but from the point of view of someone whos not read clancy before it was a good read. multiple plots lots of action, interesting characters and plot twists. I admit i dont read a lot, I occasionally star books but get bored and give up so its testament to this one that after losing it, I purchased another copy to finish it off.
The only other thing ive read recently, that also happens to be of a similar ilk,is 'Worth Dying For' by Lee Childs, which was a bit bettr perhaps.
Anyway my point is this is an interesting book, i found the attention to detail regarding military paraphinalia esp guns interesting, the main characters had depth and the plot was Gripping and relavent with respect to the 'War on Terror' but not too obvious in that the mexican drug cartels are also involved in the plot. I might add that the violence described with respect to the cartels was often grotesque.
on 30 September 2017
Difficult to get into because of so many different characters with similar sounding names. Glad I persevered because of excellent and exciting conclusion
on 13 August 2017
Again a very high class Tom Clancy book, full of plot and intrigue, well worth the read, and another I bought in hardback as I keep those I want to stay forever. Good delivery and well packaged
on 27 February 2015
I think it is time that the publishers drop the Tom Clancy from the cover of these books. They are not Tom Clancy novels. The whole style and ethos is wrong. If you go back and read 'Hunt for the Red October' or 'Patriot Games' etc you will know what I mean. Nothing wrong with story but I think these books are just trading on the Tom Clancy name. Sorry!
on 15 November 2012
Over the years, I have read all of Tom Clancy's books. Started with the Hunt for Red October in 1984. They have always been excellent, most intriquing and very hard too put down.

This one I throughly enjoyed, the main character Moore's experience training to be a USN Seal was described so you felt you were there with him. The action is fast moving and you are taken for USA to Pakistan to Afghanistan to Iraq to Mexico as you turn the pages. The good and bad guys get killed not just the bad ones.
The book is excellent, worth reading and I recommend it.
on 28 October 2017
Item as advertised and delivered promptly