Format: Kindle Edition|Change
Price:£0.99

on 30 October 2014
This short story collection has it all: ghosts, a haunted house, golems, a witch, plants with tentacles, killer bugs, and time travel of a sort. Darkness pervades each tale, as do strong female characters that are often missing in genre fiction. Cole's work is well-written, poetic at times but never at the risk of slowing down the narrative, and she creates characters you identify with and root for. Her prose is gripping, keeping you glued to your Kindle to find out what happens next.

My favorite stories were "The Girl Who Wouldn't Die" (the most creative case of dissociative identity disorder I've ever read), and "The Invasion" (it had me checking the closets and scratching at myself every time I felt at itch). "The Wall of Never Doubt" is fabulously written, and I can see why it was a contender in the 2011 Writer's Digest competition. It provides a satisfying finish to a fine collection.

I'm glad I have my copy; I'll be reading these stories again come Halloween.
on 6 July 2013
A collection of six strange stories from Erin Cole. An enjoyable collection from an accomplished writer. Do give it a try.