Format: Blu-ray|Change

on 6 September 2012
I watched this movie at the cinema several months ago now with my 3-year old son. He was fascinated by it - and I was captivated by both the awe-inspiring cinematography (from air and land of the Masai-Mara) and also the beautiful soundtrack.
The original screening took a lot of criticism for the narration (provided by Samuel L Jackson) which I, although agree was a bit cheesy in places, thought was quite harsh criticism. Regardless Disney have replaced the original narration in the DVD release with a much improved narration by Patrick Stewart.
The film is just the right length at under 1.5 hours and there isn't a dull moment throughout.
If you like nature doco's this is a MUST. Kids from 3-up will appreciate it and you'll need a box of tissues at hand for your Mum!
Truly amazing!!! Nothing short of 5 stars.
on 2 August 2012
The first time that I viewed this title was last October when I returned from the States with African Cats, Thank god for Disney Nature, they have brought back to the table all of the reasons that I used to watch the wonderful world of Disney true life adventures of many years ago. Please do remember the the afore mentioned DTLA was in many way the forerunner to most of the national geographic, and discovery networks programmes that we now enjoy. African Cats more than super seeds any of them. The story is a joy to be part of, the high Def cinema photography is stunning in it's detail. In short if this type of Movie is your thing you would be utterly mad not to purchase this title. PS Keep a look out for another Disney Nature release with chimpanzee this is also out of this world
44 comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 19 November 2012
There was a time when Disney just made great nature films. Those were the days when you went to the cinema and the B feature might be a Disney Nature documentary that usually outclassed the animated film that followed you'd actually gone to see.

Two British directors and the camera work of Simon King (of Autumn/Winter/Spring Watch) literally have bought Disney back into the fold. The picture quality is absolutely stunning. The sound quality is amazing - rattled one of my back speakers when the lions roared! And production quality is top notch.

Have they Disneyfied it? Well you could argue yes. But bad things happen. Cubs go missing, other animals get killed and yes the animals mate, but not on camera. On a hunt they show the capture but not the gory kill. You don't have to sit with your kids whilst the lions rut away, but by that you really get a better film, because that is what this is - more than a documentary.

First class stuff, looking forward to getting Chimpanzee and seeing others coming out.

And there lies the issue. Availability.

Considering the rampant desire we have in this country for wildlife documentaries it is curious how long this took to become available. I know they ran it in the cinema, but this is one of those films you need to get to show off your Blu Ray.

Like another reviewer I am partially sighted in one eye, in fact my vision can vary dramatically and I bought a HD TV and Blu Ray so that I could SEE things better. I've even been moved a bit closer to the telly by my missus.

It brings back memories of sitting close to the TV as a kid. And this film makes you feel like that awed child in the cinema again.

Just buy it.
on 15 October 2011
If, like me, you watch every documentary going on big cats you are probably not going to learn a lot from this. I didn't find it as fascinating as 'The Crimson Wing' and the soundtrack was pretty disappointing (for a Disney film). I'd like to have given it 3.5 stars. To be blunt it's not National Geographic or BBC Wildlife.

The photography is stunning (I believe a lot of the senior production team were BBC veterans) and the film is a nice length. The narration could have been written better and much as I like Samuel L Jackson he was not the right choice as narrator - but let's face it who could equal Attenborough. In places the storyline seems too contrived not a live version of 'The Lion King', but it could have benefitted from being a bit less 'U' and more 'PG'. I'm sorry but a nature documentary should not be softened for children - I know it's Disney, but I don't recall 'The Crimson Wing' being this sugary.

I must admit before watching this I had never seen Cheetahs go in such deep water or 5 male lions group together as they do in this. I don't want to say anything about the plot and ruin what happens, but you really pity the lion cub Mara and her mother (I know it's nature).

The one thing which really bugged me was you never find out the sexes of Sita's young. I highly recommend watching the credits, though with mute on to hide the dreadful Jordin Sparks song, to see the animal credits - my personal favourite being Sita's 'stunt double'.

My little rant about the film has to be about the way it's being sold. I only wanted the DVD version. If I owned a Blu-Ray I would only want the BR version. Yes I could sell the other disc, but truth be known I'm lazy and I'd sooner not have to pay for it all. Disney seem to be getting in the habit of this (Cinderella being another recent example). I don't want a debate with anyone about the merits of Blu-Ray v ordinary. I don't like Blu-Ray and do not appreciate having to pay for something I don't want (no it is not available singly). Neither do I appreciate releases including 3D and 2D versions - I'm nearly blind in one eye. It's not that I don't like 3D, I just can't see it - forcing people into buying things they can never watch is not clever.
on 11 August 2016
I watched this 89 min ALL REGION DVD and once I started I found it very compelling. What more can you add to the comments made in the reviews. The story line superb, music first class, animal extras good, sad at times and could anyone have told the story better than Patrick Stewart?
on 2 June 2016
Lovely documentary, a bit gruesome at times but it is a nature documentary so it is only showing the animals in their natural state. I loved the film, very informative and the bond you see between the adults and their young is very touching. Big thumbs up!!
on 28 May 2012
This film is well worth buying, you can watch it again and again, it is mesmerising and beautiful. Buy it!
on 16 June 2015
Arrived quickly- got this as a present for the in laws as they went on a safari a year ago and I thought this would bring back those great memories plus I've watched it before and it is an amazing film. Definitely not what you may think - thought it was some boring documentary but it is done as a film but done so well. Catches on camera the tale of the African cats and their battles with nature and with each other. Just mind blowing - would recommend. In laws loved it too after they watched this DVD I got them.
on 7 November 2014
I ordered this on the strength of having already seen the programme on tv, there is a bit of gore, but after all this is nature. I've already watched it a couple of times since returning from Kenya (on safari) and it is still fresh every time.
on 22 March 2013
This is the first Disney documentary I've ever watched. It is really good, interesting, tense and in parts emotional - as with all wildlife documentaries. The comentary is really good also.
In some parts though the picture looks as though its computered - who know's with all of todays hi-tech equipment. But overall a good buy.