on 6 September 2012
I watched this movie at the cinema several months ago now with my 3-year old son. He was fascinated by it - and I was captivated by both the awe-inspiring cinematography (from air and land of the Masai-Mara) and also the beautiful soundtrack.
The original screening took a lot of criticism for the narration (provided by Samuel L Jackson) which I, although agree was a bit cheesy in places, thought was quite harsh criticism. Regardless Disney have replaced the original narration in the DVD release with a much improved narration by Patrick Stewart.
The film is just the right length at under 1.5 hours and there isn't a dull moment throughout.
If you like nature doco's this is a MUST. Kids from 3-up will appreciate it and you'll need a box of tissues at hand for your Mum!
Truly amazing!!! Nothing short of 5 stars.
on 19 November 2012
There was a time when Disney just made great nature films. Those were the days when you went to the cinema and the B feature might be a Disney Nature documentary that usually outclassed the animated film that followed you'd actually gone to see.

Two British directors and the camera work of Simon King (of Autumn/Winter/Spring Watch) literally have bought Disney back into the fold. The picture quality is absolutely stunning. The sound quality is amazing - rattled one of my back speakers when the lions roared! And production quality is top notch.

Have they Disneyfied it? Well you could argue yes. But bad things happen. Cubs go missing, other animals get killed and yes the animals mate, but not on camera. On a hunt they show the capture but not the gory kill. You don't have to sit with your kids whilst the lions rut away, but by that you really get a better film, because that is what this is - more than a documentary.

First class stuff, looking forward to getting Chimpanzee and seeing others coming out.

And there lies the issue. Availability.

Considering the rampant desire we have in this country for wildlife documentaries it is curious how long this took to become available. I know they ran it in the cinema, but this is one of those films you need to get to show off your Blu Ray.

Like another reviewer I am partially sighted in one eye, in fact my vision can vary dramatically and I bought a HD TV and Blu Ray so that I could SEE things better. I've even been moved a bit closer to the telly by my missus.

It brings back memories of sitting close to the TV as a kid. And this film makes you feel like that awed child in the cinema again.

Just buy it.
on 5 April 2017
My Silver Bengal - Mr. Nuri - and I like to watch "wild animal" movies. We both enjoyed this one, but I think I had more fun because I got to eat all the popcorn.

In regard to the film itself, as might be expected from Disney, there wasn't much blood-n-guts, and everyone basically lived happily ever after - except for the poor Thomson gazelles who served as the big cats' ersatz-popcorn.

Just as a peripheral cultural note, the Thomson gazelle was named after the Scottish geologist and explorer Joseph Thomson, whose motto is often quoted to be "He who goes gently, goes safely; he who goes safely, goes far."

I reckon he forgot to tell the big cats about going "gently" and the poor gazelles about going as far away as they could from the big cats.

By the way, Mr. Nuri's somewhat of a wild animal in his own right (see movie)
on 7 May 2017
|I love anything to do with the Natural world. This dvd is about two families one is a Lion Pride and the other is about a Cheetah and her cubs.
on 16 July 2017
Excellent
on 4 June 2017
GREAT ITEM
on 17 June 2014
a fantastic African wildlife dvd,mainly on a pride of lions ,I enjoyed it very much ,nearly 2 hours long,i recommend this
on 31 March 2015
bought for my grandson he likes it, i find it a bit long winded
on 10 July 2017
cauld not watch it as there was a lot of scenes of animals killing other animals to survive
on 2 August 2012
The first time that I viewed this title was last October when I returned from the States with African Cats, Thank god for Disney Nature, they have brought back to the table all of the reasons that I used to watch the wonderful world of Disney true life adventures of many years ago. Please do remember the the afore mentioned DTLA was in many way the forerunner to most of the national geographic, and discovery networks programmes that we now enjoy. African Cats more than super seeds any of them. The story is a joy to be part of, the high Def cinema photography is stunning in it's detail. In short if this type of Movie is your thing you would be utterly mad not to purchase this title. PS Keep a look out for another Disney Nature release with chimpanzee this is also out of this world
44 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse