Enter your mobile number below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
Getting the download link through email is temporarily not available. Please check back later.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
|Print List Price:||£16.99|
Save £0.85 (5%)
Aethelstan: The First King of England (The English Monarchs Series) Kindle Edition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Top Customer Reviews
This book did the job admirably. It's quite densely printed, quite lengthy and needed persistence to get through in a reasonable time. Given the relative paucity of hard facts that have survived from the 10th century, maybe, just maybe, the book is padded out a little, but hey, what do I know?
A fascinating and scholarly work, and a super introduction to a little-known king who was hugely important in the birth of modern England.
There is nothing else like this book for its comprehensive coverage, coins, charters, continental sources, chronicles, letters etc.
Seems like a lifetime's work, this must be Sarah Foot's magnum opus - or can there be more to come about Anglo-Saxon Britain?
I look forward to that.
PS Wouldn't it be great if Michael Wood ever got round to publishing his work on Athelstan. I've just listened to 90 mins of his inspiring lecture at Newcastle University available at
PPS also worth listening to the author, Sarah Foot and others talking with Melvyn Bragg BBC Radio 4 iplayer
As I am trying to write fiction about Athelstan's era I can only thank Sarah Foot for adding to my knowledge and perceptions of a great but largely forgotten king.
'thelstan was the eldest child of Edward the Elder's first marriage but appears to have been pushed down the pecking order by the progeny of that king's two subsequent marriages. Indeed, Sarah Foote asserts that 'thelstan spent his early years with his aunt, 'thlflaeda, and her husband who were in charge of those parts of Mercia controlled Edward the Elder. Luck removed 'thelstan's most serious rival by the death of his eldest half-brother, 'lfweard, within weeks of their father. 'thelstan managed to shrug off whatever coups (threatened or actual) were made against him over the next fifteen years. He was to be succeeded by a half-brother, Edmund, the eldest of the third marriage.
After an overview of the reign, Sarah Foote looks more closely at his family. Clearly actual sources are in short supply and much of her effort is concerned with examining the products of post-Conquest annalists (especially William of Malmesbury) in the light of evidence from sources, such as charters and archaeology, more in vogue with post-Victorian historians.Read more ›
Most Recent Customer Reviews
A wonderful biography, beautifully written and researched. Brings Aethelstan to life.Published 3 months ago by Amazon Customer
Great book, a very good read, and we are indebted to Sarah Foot for a fact based, well researched, but is easy reading book, which captivates us to appreciate the amazing character... Read morePublished 4 months ago by Roy Chadwick
Great book covering a period in history I didn't get an opportunity to study in schoolPublished 10 months ago by Carol Compton
Informative book and enjoyable. Never heard about him at school. Shame. He was an interesting and good monarch.Published 21 months ago by boosdort
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Biography > British Royalty
- Books > Biography > Historical > 501-1000
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Early British to Anglo-Saxon: BCE-1000 AD
- Books > Biography > Historical > Britain > Military
- Books > Biography > Historical > Countries & Regions > Europe
- Books > Biography > Historical > Royalty
- Books > Biography > Political > Britain
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Anglo-Saxon 500-1000
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Black Death
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Ireland
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Norman and Medieval 1001-1500
- Books > History > Britain & Ireland > Wars of the Roses
- Books > History > Europe > Vikings, Dark Ages, Medieval Europe 501-1500
- Books > History > World History > 501-1500
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Europe > General
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > Europe > Ireland
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Historical > United Kingdom
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Leaders & Notable People > Royalty
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Biography & True Accounts > Regional U.K.
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > Europe
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > History > UK