on 27 June 2017
Super light and incredibly robust. Well worth taking on your hols as an extra bag.
As a few have said - it does not have any rigidity to it so you do need to fill it.
I used it as my cabin bag for a weeks trip to Spain when my wife and I just booked the one case in the hold. It was really good - packed it full, and with heavy gear (laptop, phones, cameras etc) in it too. Did the return journey and looks no worse for wear (unlike my wife's suitcase that suffered at the hands of our great British luggage handlers again).
on 23 August 2014
I like to travel light, and in particular, I travel for 2-4 weeks with only a single wheel-less carry-on (a Tom Bihn Aeronaut). Part of the problem with traveling so light is that I need a separate laptop bag that can be used upon arrival. The options are limited, because whatever bag it is needs to fit within the larger carry-on. Most dedicated messenger bags are too bulky, and so I decided to try the Aerolite 21" bag. It ended up being perfect for the job.

[Size]: First of all, the bag is large. Very large. At 55cm in width, this bag might be too large if you're looking for an every-day carry and if you're small in stature. I'm 5'8 and quite bulky in build, and the bag is *slightly* too large. If you're smaller, and e.g. female, I'd say you'll find it too large as something to take around town or into work.

That being said, because the bag is unstructured (basically fabric all around), the bag will typically fold in a way that makes it seem much smaller than it actually is. For instance, I put a 15" Macbook Pro into the bag, and it will "shrink" about 2 inches on each side when it's carried. If you carry the bag with the strap crossed on your chest, it will fold up even more, as the bag wraps around your body. This ends up being a great feature, because even though the bag is large, it handles small loads quite well.

[Construction] Great, solid stitching. As others have remarked, the sticking for the handles is very solid, and is wrapped down the body of the bag. I've seen much shoddier stitching on more expensive bags, and I'm willing to wager that the handles will be very sturdy even to very heavy loads. The bottom of the bag also seems solidly stitched. I carried a Macbook Pro 15" (about 5lbs), some books, and a coat (total load 10lbs?) with no issues. The nylon material seems solid---not flimsy, and with a nice texture to it.

[Features] The bag folds up nicely into about the size of large novel. It's too bulky to put into trouser pockets, but you could fit it into a purse. The bag fits into my Aeronaut bag nicely, and bringing it along for every trip is definitely worth it, given the potential expansion of a secondary bag. There are two pockets on the front of the bag, and a smaller interior pouch. The pockets at the front are very helpful because opening the main compartment of the bag is not that easy when in motion [see below on zippers]. The interior pounce (for coins or cards) is a little bit thin and cheap-feeling, but it is a very minor issue. I prefer the thinness to bulkiness.

[Zipper and strap] This is where the bag goes from 5/5 to 4/5. The zippers are unfortunately cheap. If I had to guess the first point of failure, it would be the zippers. It is not so much a problem with the side pocket zippers, but rather the main compartment zippers. They're the typical zippers you'd find on a cheap dollar-store pencil case---so cheap I'm a little afraid of unzipping the bag while in motion. Similarly, the strap is flimsy, but this is less of an issue for me as I just use my Tom Bihn strap. I would recommend that you use a quality strap anyways (a good investment as you can typically use them for multiple items).

In the end, I highly recommend this bag if you're looking for a bag-within-a-bag during your travels. If you style of travel is light, there's really no reason *not* to use his bag. It can be used both as an every-day bag (if you don't mind the size) and as an emergency bag in case you need a secondary. Some reviewers have noted that his can be used as a cheap bag for budget flights like Ryanair. I would also recommend it for this use, but I would recommend that you purchase a quality strap. For comparison, I use the Tom Bihn Absolute Strap, but there are other alternatives.

[Final Remarks] The bag receives a 4/5, with the loss of a point for its zipper and strap. It's hard to be harsh, given that you're not likely to find a cheaper bag, which is so versatile and well constructed. I would have preferred to pay a few extra £s for a better zipper, but at this price point, you won't feel guilty replacing this bag if the zipper fails in a year or two.

[Further note] My biggest complaint is the silly picture of the bag that was printed on the front pouch. Note that the version I received from Amazon has the cartoonized picture of the bag underneath the Aerolite logo. Was it really necessary for the company to do this? In any case, I turn the bag so that the logo faces inwards, so I wouldn't say it's a big problem.
on 15 April 2013
Ths was bought to act as a "Rucksack cover" for an upcoming trip to Thailand. Folded up it's pretty small, about the same size as an A4 pad, unfolded it's BIG. Big enough to fit a standardish size backpack 65-80l easily, with plenty of space to spare.
The intention is to have cover a backpack and also take a couple of pairs of diving fins (that will be strapped to back of our packs once we reach Thailand, and it has no problem doing that.
It feels string and well made (we had the luxury of seeing it in advance in a store, although at twice the prce of Amazon), and it should last although time will tell.
For the price it's the lightetst, best made, best sized I've seen by a long way.
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 21 February 2018
Perfect for short Ryan Air vacations. Have taken on 4 short haul vacations packing the holdall to the max and all zips and straps are holding up well.
on 10 July 2017
The bag arrived about 25 minutes ago today 10th July, The expected date was Saturday 8th.
It doesn't have a shoulder carry strap as shown in the picture, but never mind.
It looks big enough for my needs.
on 5 August 2017
As described no more dragging a suitcase behind you - this is brilliant and does exactly what is claimed on the spec - would recommend to anyone travelling for weekend or week
on 27 November 2017
very useful
on 11 August 2017
Superb lightweight travel bag
on 29 July 2017
Roomy , strong and great prices
on 15 May 2014
We initially bought one of the 21” size bags to tuck away as a spare aircraft cabin sized luggage bag as we always seem to come back with more things than we go away with when travelling…

For the price I was pleasantly surprised at how well it is made. Yes, it is lightweight fabric (which helps keep the packed weight down) and I would not pack it with heavy items all the time, but it is well put together, the zips are smooth, the handles and shoulder straps do what they should and design that allows it to zip down inside itself works well. We were so impressed we bought a second 21” one and also the larger size as a spare hold size bag. We did note that that on the two 21” bags as we bought these a year apart the material had changed – though both seem fine - but the bags now have the sizes printed boldly on the outside; this looks a little odd so we prefer the original one.

Perhaps the only downside with these bags is that they have no firm base, so unless they are fully packed they will not keep their shape. If you are using them for clothes or soft items this will not matter, even in the larger 28” size.

When we shopped for these we were a bit confused by listings for identical products as the bags come up with either free/Prime delivery fulfilled by Amazon or a lower price plus £4.95 for delivery direct from Luggage Travel Bags. Price wise it works out the same, but where possible we default to the ‘fulfilled by Amazon’ option for the best service.

See one answered question