on 5 December 2010
I've been working with Macromedia MX 2004 until recently so this book was to help me with the conversion to Adobe CS5. It's well presented and although I am only half way through, it has helped me pick up plenty of tips already. Don't know if it would be the right choice for an absolute beginner though, as it focusses on the how and not the why - no real preamble. But like I said, for me it is just the ticket. I now have 5 of the CIB series books sitting on my desk (FW, AI, DW, Flash, PS)so I'm obviously fairly happy with them. Also, I'm using a dual-booting iMac and this book is fine for either OS. Hope this is of help.
on 11 November 2011
I made the mistake of buying the Kindle version, which is not delivered with the exercise files. Without these, the book is utterly useless - you can't follow any of the lessons!

The fact that Amazon don't mention this on the Kindle storefront (and include reviews from the printed version of the book, which also don't mention it) is a serious issue and one that they should address.
on 20 September 2011
The Classroom in a book range is a great idea and is good to buy. I used the Dreamweaver CS3 Book and was delighted to find that the CS5 is MUCH easier to read. It takes into account anomalies you may face and is pretty linear. This Flash book on the other hand isn't like this. One minute it's taking you through an exercise the next it's talking about the toolbox so you lose your place. My first movie came out completely wrong and it was my own tinkering that got it right. I would like to see this book written in the same tone as Dreamweaver CS5 and hope the rest of the range are not like this clunky mass.
on 16 July 2011
I have been waiting for a book like this for years. It teaches Flash CS5 in the form of a series of lessons. Readers follow along using lesson files on the CD. Clearly, the best way to learn how to use software is to actually get hands-on experience. This books guides you through the process, building knowledge and confidence as you go.

The writing is clear and highly readable and well illustrated. The accompanying CD also contains further video lessons which are very thorough and assume no prior knowledge. Every step is explained clearly, without being patronising.

Highly recommended.
on 8 June 2012
Would definitely recommend to anyone who has never used Flash CS5 before (and some that have). It's even quite humorous. I'm a huge fan of 'The Missing Manual' range and will continue to be as long as they continue to release such good informative books like this one. It is also a good reference book. I continue to use this book even though my educational purposes (mature student) have finished for this year. This book also helps me at work too.
on 28 August 2011
I have been using the Adobe Classroom books as a training source since Adobe Photoshop 2.5 and find them a valuable source for getting to grips with Adobes applications. The Flash book is easy to follow and you are told how long each lesson will last at the beginning of the chapter. Highly recommended.
Adobe Flash Professional CS5 Classroom in a Book (Classroom in a Book (Adobe))
on 15 August 2012
Having seen what Flash could do I wanted to develop applications myself, but got a bit overawed by the amount of information out there. This is a good start to learning Flash Professional, with concise lessons and basic examples.
Just wish Adobe would include this level of tutorial with the product, and not as an optional update.
on 5 April 2012
Love these books, it's a great buy for beginners into CS products, would like to see an additional series for professionals with in-depth tutorials etc. Book is value for money and it does what it suppose to. Mine came with a CD Rom as specified in the product area and the chapters are easy to follow. Recommend it to anyone.
on 29 September 2015
I found the instructions very difficult to follow. In many cases, I couldn't carry out the instruction as the icon or menu item didn't exist. It took time to find the proper procedure. Annoying.
on 5 April 2012
For those of you who are interested in learning Flash, this is a great book to buy.
I have to say it's quite heavy going but if you find the time worth the read.