on 14 March 2011
I am a great fan of the Adobe "Classroom In a Book" series, and this book is the star of the collection.

I have been putting websites together for years in a software program called NetObjects Fusion, but there is very little literature on how to customize it or use it in conjunction with other software packages, so I decided to convert to Dreamweaver, which has piles of online and offline literature and support. I assumed that the conversion process would be easy and bought a couple of short books to achieve that. A mistake. Dreamweaver is a massive piece of software with a full armoury of features, and there is no short-cut route into it.

The book consists of a series of step-by-step tutorials broken down into logically organized chapters, during which the reader uses Dreamweaver to build a multiple-page website, complete with interactive navigation and functionality and inserts from other programs. All the assets for the website are contained on the accompanying DVD-Rom (for Windows and Mac), which is incrediby useful. The DVD also contains helpful videos from the "Learn Dreamweaver CSS by Video" publication.

The book begins with an introduction of the basics - HTML and CSS, and how they work together. It moves in gentle steps, taking the reader from the simple tools in Dreamweaver like creating layouts and adding images through to creating templates and library items (invaluable) handling some of the more specialized features like Spry widgets and adding interactivity. There is even a section on how to create a CSS style sheet which will produce a printer-friendly version of your website pages. It concludes with chapters advising on how to work with online data building dynamic pages with ASP, ColdFusion or PHP and working with code. Finally there is a chapter on how to publish to an external web server so that the rest of the world can visit your site.

Because you build a website as you go along you get a great idea of the design process and the potential of using different features, as well as the technicalities of the build itself.

The only downside that I can find is that no matter what I did I could not get the contact form to work using the instructions from the book. Having said that, I am willing to believe that this was a problem with me rather than the book, because all other instructions were spot on.

I wanted to add a photo gallery to my site and there were no instruction in the book about how to achieve this, which is a shame as I understand that there used to be a photo gallery feature built into Dreamweaver and people accustomed to this feature might well have found it helpful to know how to achieve the same result using another program.

I would actually recommend reading a book on CSS before you begin this book if you don't have that knowledge already, because knowing how to use CSS really is a key feature of Dreamweaver. There are some excellent books around, and even short ones will make all the difference.

All in all, I wouldn't bother with another Dreamweaver CS5 book until you have read this one. This one is a fantastic place to start and will give you lots of ideas for your own work. Above all, it was great fun to use.

My book is covered in notes and I will keep it close to hand as a reference book every time that I use Dreamweaver in the future.

I have just completed a website for my local pub, and everything I needed to achieve for the site (except the web gallery) was covered in the book. A great purchase.
10 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 9 October 2015
The Classroom in a Book series is excellent and by working through each chapter's exercises you'll get a thorough grounding in the app. Perhaps, like me, your new-found knowledge will lead you to the conclusion that DW isn't anywhere near as sophisticated or smooth as other Adobe apps such as illustrator or Photoshop but it's worth the price of the book to find out and, who knows, you might decide that I've got it wrong.
on 28 June 2012
I bought this one to upgrade my knowledge of DW, but found it very awkward, and the instructions have to be weeded out from the commentary. That way it is very hard to use the book in a meaningful way.
Also, a lot of the instructions do not produce the desired results, and I ended up spending a lot of time, with massive frustrations, to find out how things could be rectified.
So, save £5 or so, and buy instead Dreamweaver CS5.5 the missing manual: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1449397972/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 !!
on 9 March 2011
This is the first 'Classroom in a book' that I've used and I'm really impressed. The lessons were layed out really well with decent time scales, full colour photographs and step-by-step instructions. Really easy to follow up to the final couple of units where the book fails to example hosting for PHP and MySQL in enough detail and so I still haven't finished the book as I've had to focus on understanding PHP now... but hey ho it's a learning curve which I'm enjoying. Great book.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 June 2017
Great!
on 16 May 2018
excellent service, product as described
on 18 January 2013
Whilst the tutorials are good there is no information over and above the topics covered. If you want to go outside of the books teachings then you really need another book as well.
on 6 November 2012
Brilliantly clear book full of practice exercises and supported by a CD with all the files and examples you could ever need when starting out in Dreamweaver.
Delivered promptly in perfect condition and in double quick time. What more could you ask for?
on 21 March 2011
awesome
well written - easy to follow
structured and makes nice pretty websites (which gives some great ideas)

a little light in some sections and very proscriptive
but this means I finished it in a week of daily lessons

you really feel you're making progress with this

I recommend it without hesitation
One person found this helpful
on 30 March 2015
Brilliant for content and perfect for the things I need to do.
However, when it arrived the back cover was torn and it was missing the accompanying DVD-ROM. Neither major issues but it would have been nice to know that it didn't have the disc beforehand.