Customer reviews

on 1 January 2013
I seem to be in the minority, but for me season 3 represented a bit of frustrating fall off from the preceding years,
although it still has it's share of strong moments, and the last 2 episodes are very powerful. But some of the earlier weaknesses
have gotten more prevalent; twists that seem a bit arbitrary, rules of its world that seem to shift to fit story convenience, story
lines that get dropped, character choices and complex morality that aren't really explored or are over-simplified, episodes that
seem a bit disconnected from the others.

And some of the strengths are less played too; fewer ironic or emotional uses of rock music, fewer visually inventive scenes,
and most importantly, less genuine emotion, and more slightly histrionic soapy-ness. (Suddenly the characters seem to
cry in every episode, which starts to make those powerful moments lose their impact). And the questions of 'what are good
and evil in a complex world' seem to be less deeply explored than before. (There's tremendous room to explore 'what is guilt'
'what is mercy' and 'what is evil' in this particular season, and in the end the answers given seem a bit too neat.)

There are also episodes in the middle that feel a bit dull, as if treading water. Perhaps this season would have been stronger
as 5 or 6 episodes.

Certainly good television, and worth watching, but for the first time I found myself less emotionally moved, and more apt to
find my mind wandering. The climax (which in some ways feels like a natural ending to the series) certainly makes up for a
lot of that, but not all of it.
on 28 July 2017
BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS AS I'D ALREADY GOT THE OTHER SERIES. I WATCHED BEING HUMAN WHEN IT WAS FIRST BROADCAST HENCE BUYING THE SERIES.
on 5 December 2017
on 24 September 2017
Perfect
on 3 March 2017
great
on 26 May 2017
Brilliant
on 15 February 2014
Love being human and have been hooked since watching the first season. Refreshing to watch British with all the American supernatural series available.
on 7 May 2017
Very nice DVD. Not available in the Netherlands. So I bought it from Amazon. Good price and very nice DVD. First time ever for me.
on 18 August 2011
I love the UK version of Being Human and I must admit to being mystified as to why the Americans decided to make their own version of the show (but that's another story). Like Season 2, there are only eight episodes in Season 3 of Being Human, but as with all three seasons, the creators manage to pack a whole lot into those episodes. We watched Season 1 as a "marathon", with loads of episodes back-to-back, but for Seasons 2 and 3 as things picked up in the story lines and got a whole lot more intense, we found we could only watch one or two episodes at a time because they were so intense and fraught that we needed breathers in between. By Season 3 things have taken some slightly mystifying twists. For example, they're now living in a former B&B in Wales, and not just anywhere in Wales, but at Barry Island, which I just can't think of without thinking about the BBC series Gavin and Stacey. To be honest this relocation was a little distracting and made me wonder if they'd somehow been filming Gavin and Stacey at the same time or had an old crew set up there that made it easier to be in Barry. Plus, the actor who plays Stacey's mum, Gwen, turns up as a very "special" (you'll see for yourself) vampire character, who just happens to live in Barry. I think one of the downsides of the series for me was the appearance of Robson Green as a new character. Much as I like Robson Green as an actor, part of the charm of the show is that the characters are (to me, anyway) relative unknowns, so they can really take on their characters well, but Robson Green is such a big name that I find his presence distracting. Not that he's bad in the role, but hopefully you see what I mean. If there is any real negative to this series, I'm disappointed by the final episode (again, I won't spoil it, watch for yourself) and, I guess, by the fact that the relationship between the original three characters really starts to fall apart in this season, where it was always their being a "family" of sorts that got them through things. Of course doubt, uncertainty and falling out with people you care about is all part of "being human", but given that they have each know what the other is from the start, I found the reactions of some of them a little disappointing (the theory being that Mitchell as a vampire will always be fighting violent tendencies and sometimes losing, yet the possibility that both George and Nina could themselves be violent and hurt others is not really addressed, making it, for me, an unbalanced argument). Anyway, all in all a good season that's well worth watching. I've heard they are doing a fourth season, so I'll be interested to see how that pans out.
VINE VOICEon 26 April 2011
This series starts where the last left off - obviously. Mitchell, George and Nina are looking for a house and with the full moon coming very soon they are forced to take an old B and B in Barry South Wales. (I spent a lot of time in Barry as a kid and if you are not familiar with the place - it really is a bit rough.) The wonderfully tacky decor they don't have time to change is superb.

Mitchell is on a mission to get Annie back from purgatory. This will involve trials and supernatural tribulations which will test him to his very limits. In the meantime George and Nina's relationship is developing, there's a teenage vampire who manages to combine being 43 with having the hormonal urges of a 14 year old boy, a South Walian vampiric infrastructure, a father and son werewolf team hunted by vampires determined to run "dog fights", Mitchell's brutal slaughter with Daisy from series two is the big news and the police are closing in and as we saw at the end of series two Herrick is back.

The series is dark - darker than the previous series which were pretty dark. Mitchell is a tortured soul even more than previously, having to live with what he's done, his growing relationship with Annie and protecting Nina and George. George and Nina are entering a new phase. But the story with Herrick is superb. He is back but is he really the same Herrick? Jason Watkins is brilliant and his interaction with Erin Richards as the detective Lucy is really chilling.

So it is often funny, gripping, dark, engaging and all the things that the first two series were. A fantastic follow on from series two and with a set up for series four.