Active Galactic Nuclei: From the Central Black Hole to the Galactic Environment (Princeton Series in Astrophysics) Hardcover – 3 Jan 1999
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Winner of the 1999 Award for Best Professional/Scholarly Book in Physics and Astronomy, Association of American Publishers
"Krolik treats almost every aspect of the AGN phenomenon, . . . . This global survey of AGN physics makes Krolik's book the most useful in the field for years. . . . [A] valuable reference for anybody interested in the physics of these cosmic powerhouses."--Chris Reynolds, Nature
"A broad and thorough review of the standard model for AGN, including observational information and theoretical modeling. It will provide graduate and advanced undergraduate students with an excellent introduction to the field."--Ruth A. Daly, Physics Today
From the Back Cover
"Julian Krolik, himself a substantial contributor to high-energy astrophysics, has written an impressive book that will be welcomed by researchers in the field. . . . It fills a notable gap in the existing literature."--Martin Rees, Institute of Astronomy, University of Cambridge
"I read this book with great interest and joy. It covers the whole subject of active galactic nuclei in depth."--Marek Abramowicz, Göteborg University, Sweden
Top Customer Reviews
Most Helpful Customer Reviews on Amazon.com (beta)
I highly recommend Bradley Peterson's "An Introduction to Active Galactic Nuclei" over this textbook. Peterson's book might be thinner (because he sticks to the material and does not digress), but it is much better. It is more up to date and clearly explains observations of AGN and then develops the science behind their operation. The mathematics in this textbook are started at a more fundamental level, but are better developed to allow for a clearer understanding of the physics.
If you read Krolik's tome, you will walk away with a a great dislike of AGN. I was required to buy this book for the course Krolik was teaching at Hopkins. My greatest regret was that I was unable to sell this textbook back to the bookstore.
FURTHERMORE, HE GOES TO JOHN HOPKINS. NOTHING BETTER THAN THAT.
KROLIK HAS DONE IT AGAIN, THIS IS A GREAT SEQUEL TO LORD OF THE RINGS.
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy > Theoretical & Mathematical Astronomy
- Books > Science & Nature > Astronomy & Cosmology > Cosmology
- Books > Science & Nature > Engineering & Technology > Aeronautics & Aerospace
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Applied Physics
- Books > Science & Nature > Physics > Relativity
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Astronomy
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Cosmology
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Astronomy & Cosmology > Theoretical Physics
- Books > Scientific, Technical & Medical > Physics