- Format: Kindle Edition
- File Size: 1071 KB
- Print Length: 437 pages
- Publisher: Sempre Vigile Press; 1 edition (2 May 2012)
- Sold by: Amazon Media EU S.à r.l.
- Language: English
- ASIN: B008082QP6
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Enabled
- Average Customer Review: 9 customer reviews
- Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #365,270 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
Enter your mobile number or email address below and we'll send you a link to download the free Kindle App. Then you can start reading Kindle books on your smartphone, tablet, or computer - no Kindle device required.
To get the free app, enter your mobile phone number.
Action: Pulse Pounding Tales Volume 1 Kindle Edition
Customers who bought this item also bought
Would you like to tell us about a lower price?
What other items do customers buy after viewing this item?
Top customer reviews
The individual stories are short enough to finish in a single sitting, and the mix of established and new authors makes each story sufficiently different to maintain interest.
Action: Pulse Pounding Tales, Vol. 1 from editor Matt Hilton, best known as the author of the Joe Hunter series of action novels brings together 37 short stories of action and adventure.
These tales are all bound together with the unapologetic tradition of drugstore book rack pulp - and they deliver exactly what the reader expects. Bad guys with guns are hunted down and given their just deserts by even badder anti-heroes with even bigger guns.
That's not at all to say that you won't be surprised and transported by the stories and the characters - only that "entertainment" is the watchword here, and it is delivered in a 428 page bucket.
Some particular standouts are "Strangers on a Train", by Stephen Leather in which a band of "Hard Boys" from London meet their match when they pick the wrong subway car to rob. For pure, gritty revenge fantasy, "Gallance" by Col Bury is possibly the best example among several choices in "Action"; and Adrian Magson's "Jingle Bells" brings an unexpected and very welcome dose of heart to the mix.
Just as the "lone wolf with an agenda" (be they cops/agents or soldiers of fortune) begins to get a little thin, the second half of the book kicks in, and presents stories of Swords and Sorcery, like the excellent "Issa's Island Prison" by Graham Smith, and the rollicking pirate tale, "The Judgement of Jean Lafitte" by Evan Lewis.Read more ›
Most recent customer reviews
What a great anthology of action tales. Crime, revenge, justice - they're all in here. Some tales are of action heroes battling criminal activity, while there are some that slip... Read morePublished on 17 May 2014 by FireflyScotland
Wow what a sensory overload of action and mayhem! I read this compilation continuously but I think that was my mistake. Read morePublished on 9 Nov. 2012 by Warren Stalley
Perhaps a little biased as my story is one of those within the pages - I may as well get that out there, but please note that I will get no more money from sales. Read morePublished on 2 July 2012 by Iain Purdie
Look for similar items by category
- Books > Fiction > Adventure Stories & Action
- Books > Fiction > Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Crime
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Mystery
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Suspense
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Crime, Thrillers & Mystery > Thriller
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Action & Adventure > Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Single Authors