on 9 December 2012
I have enjoyed Michael Jecks historical crime books for several years and was interested to see how he crafted a book set in the present rather than the past.

The book is well written as ever by this author, although I found that towards the middle of the book I skimmed over some of the less central character's details and thoughts, and I feel that the central section could have been tighter.

However, my lasting thoughts from this book are how we as a society and nation have regressed into appalling violence against our fellow men, similar to that shown by those with power in Michael Jecks medieval mystery books, which may well be his aim. I felt that the story was probably a very realistic reflection of the present day. It left an unpleasant feeling that we have allowed and connived at our country's descent into the paranoia the book displays.
on 21 March 2017
I had not read anything by this author before I picked up this one. It is a rattling tale where the lower level people are fighting against h.igh level folks who are plainly mad. There is a high body count and set piece capture and rescue scenes. Rather cliched - This will not appeal to a reader who likes nuanced characters and a bit of subtley. The book is too long and I kept looking at how many pages were left as he story got dragged out. It reminded me of Dan Brown.
on 26 November 2013
This is a great spy thriller written by one of my favourite historical crime fiction authors. Think James Bond mixed with Jack Reacher, especially as this story is largely set in the USA. It is of course quite different to the hugely popular Templar series, but the writing is still as good.

As other reviewers have said, we look forward to more stories featuring Jack Case, or at least more modern thrillers from Michael Jecks.

There are the usual problems at times with this Kindle version, but I tend to be able to ignore these by now. It is very likely that the book will soon be available in a printed version, so people without a Kindle should shortly be able to read the book.
on 24 October 2016
Act of Vengeance by Michael Jecks is so much more than just a spy thriller. It is, as one would except from such an accomplished author, an exciting yarn, covering no more than a few days, yet incorporating a broad range of scenarios, different paces and a roller-coaster of emotions.

But in addition, it manages to address many contemporary issues in a wholly adult way; never dodging potentially controversial topics while never allowing them to interfere with the flow of an exciting story.

This is well worth the read for Jecks fans and those new to him as an author.
on 21 July 2016
Second reading confirmed 5stars well deserved, it is a well constructed story of an agent out of favour but called back to a tidying up exercise after the death of a former interrogation officer in a remote cabin in Alaska. This is a story of betrayal, of rendition and of an agent's persistent quest for truth and revenge. I will be reading Michael Jecks again.
on 11 August 2013
I own and have read all of Michael Jecks Templar series (and short stories on kindle) when I first heard about his modern day spy thriller I was unsure whether I could enjoy it, well I have just finished it and was I ever wrong!
This book is a thrilling, fast brilliantly written spy thriller that swaps between Alaska,and London.
Jack Case is a fantastic new character and I really hope that Michael Jecks writes as many Jack Case books as he has Baldwin and Simon books.
I encourage you all to buy this and read it, you will not be disappointed but clear your desk, finish the ironing and any thing else you have to do before you start because you will not be able to put it down once you start it.
on 5 December 2013
I was looking for a mediaeval mystery by Michael Jecks but saw this. As he is such an excellent writer, I thought I'd give it a go and was not disappointed. The story takes place in several different locations at the same time and is an excellent read. Can't say too much because there are so many twists and turns I wouldn't want to spoil it for you
on 13 October 2016
Michael Jecks usually writes medieval stories and this is his first modern thriller. The only problem I had with the book was that it can be a bit confusing in the middle. But overall a good book that deserves a sequel.
on 9 July 2017
Good twist and turns, little confusing to start with but story came together before the end, which may seem odd but pleasing.
on 9 November 2012
I have read all Michael Jecks Templar series which I found hard to put down until I reached the last page. This modern day thriller is a real page turner absolutely gripping - more of Jack Case please. I could not put this book down. Michael Jecks is a great story teller.