on 3 July 2012
Just got my Kindle and this was a freebie so thought I would give it a try. I like historical romance and I have a soft spot for pirates so hoped this would be good. Well I was not disappointed with this fabulous swashbuckling love affair set on the high seas.......couldn't wait to get the other two in the trilogy after reading this!
on 28 January 1999
Oh, to be gifted with Marsha Canham's ability to spin a tale!
Marsha Canham masterfully concocts an incredible cast of characters in this novel, deftly weaves in actual historical figures, presents a compelling story as she tosses her readers on board a ship bound for the high seas. . . all of this in the first chapter. And it just gets better.
I would like to also say that her research was incredibly accurate. There was no twisting of fact to suit her fiction, there was an attention to detail that all other authors wish they had, and there was a genuine interest in presenting the life of a man of the sea in addition to a steamy and seductive love story. Beau and Dante are sheer magic, I must say, but it's Beau's father who steals the show.
Read this book. It is a shining example of how historical fiction should be written. Marsha, please hurry up with the next one!
on 26 November 2012
I REALLY enjoyed this book. I read the vast majority of it on an extremely long train journey and I'm sure the people opposite me thought I was crazy because I kept bursting into laughter at the antics of Beau.

And there I think is the crux of what makes this book so good - the main female character Beau is just brilliant. She has just the right amount of humour, wit, intelligence and fire to be easily lovable and to make the reader care about her. I also thought Dante was great - just that kind of cocky, demanding but loyal and fierce man that makes you wish he was a real person. The clashes they have are hilarious and (on some notable occasions) pretty steamy! (Yeah, that was a little awkward on the train lol).

Another thing that really impressed me about this book was that the author had clearly done her research exceptionally well. The knowledge of shipping terms and sailing manouevres was impressive. It was also great to see so many historical figures appearing in the book such as Francis Drake. That era of history was always fascinating to me and gave this novel an instant backdrop for my imagination.

Thoroughly enjoyed and would buy more from this author.
on 30 March 1999
Marsha writes with such intelligence and wit that is prevalent in all her books, and Across a Moonlit Sea is no exception. Her words come to life and her characters stay with you long after you have read the last page. Her attention to detail is unparalleled by any other romance author I have read. And let's not forget the importance of a sexy hero and steamy love scenes!
What makes this book my favorite is the heroine, Isabeau Spence. Marsha has created a character who is independant, intelligent, strong willed and way ahead of her time.
on 2 September 2013
Couldn't put the book down. What an adventure I felt I was on reading this fantastic book. I'm a history lover and really enjoyed reading all about their adventure, made me want to go off and search out the real history of that time era and the events that were mentioned. I felt there was a really good mixture of history, sailing facts and romance. I see there are other books that are about their daughter, I would certainly go and read those as well. My only moan I think would be, that I would have loved a bit more at the end, to me it finished just a tad too quickly but then that is also a sign of a good book; you just don't want them to end.
on 5 March 2012
Fantastic characters. I love books which aren't just about the hero/heroine. I had to keep reading to find out what happened next.

History, great characters, swashbuckling action and hot love scenes. What more could you ask?
on 12 October 2015
Yes it's an historical romance with pirates, but it is much more than that. It does make a change to have a strong female character, rather than one who just melts whenever she sees the hero. Beau has many practical qualities and provides a worthwhile mate to Dante. I liked the accurate (as far as I could tell) depiction of the raid on Cadiz by Drake - well researched!
on 8 February 2014
This is the first book I have read by this author, and consider myself fortunate to have got it free.

The writing was excellent, the story fast paced and the author took me on such a wonderful swashbuckling adventure. I have not wanted to put kindle down.
How I loved our heroine Beau Spence, she was one feisty but very accomplished member of her fathers crew, she was the helmsman. When their merchant ship The Egret comes to the rescue of Captain Simon Dante, Beau's world is suddenly turned upside down. I love how these two just bristle determined not to like each other, after Dante realises of cause the boy with the smart mouth is I fact a women. Yes the sparks fly, yet they are drawn to each other. As hard as Beau tries to avoid Dante, she decides on taking a little fatherly advice, Beau scratches the itch, and oh my word it's Hot and passionate.

Their escapades on the high seas make for such an exciting story, the battles with the Spanish had me on the edge of my seat.

I would recommend this book and look forward to reading the next in the series
on 1 January 2013
I so enjoyed this book, even though for me it was a bit on the long side. The story was great and the characters were well written out. The period of Drake at sea in those days along with the swashbuckling pirates seemed to be well researched which enables the reader to imerse in the scenes depicked.
A really good read with a stirring romance.
on 23 February 2013
As historical romance goes, this one delivered with interest. Well researched, authentic, two appealing leads (oh, if only Simon Dante was flesh and blood!) and a wealth of interesting minor characters in addition to a cleverly contructed plot.
Best freebie I've found so far, couldn't put it down! Highly recommended.